What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Environmental Monitoring - Burst Method?

Started by , May 23 2019 07:20 PM

I would assume this would be referencing vectoring, however I would not apply this to an ATP scenario, as ATP is more for sanitation verification than micro-organism detection.  This would be more for say, listeria showing up in a drain and swabbing outward from the drain to see how wide spread the contamination is. 

Did this auditor specifically make this call out to the ATP Program?  This also depends on your process (product risk) and how the program is laid out.  

6 Replies

Hi All!

We recently had our first SQF audit since implementation of ATP swabbing as part of our environmental monitoring program. Our auditor mentioned a "burst method" when retesting after failed results, I looked into it but couldn't find exactly what this is. I asked the ATP test kit company and they haven't heard of it either. I was wondering if anybody has any information about this? Thanks in advance!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Zosi’s Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP) and risk assessment templates Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility Environmental Monitoring guidance Seafood facility 3M Environmental sampler abrasive swab sensitivity Flour Mill Environmental Monitoring
[Ad]

I would assume this would be referencing vectoring, however I would not apply this to an ATP scenario, as ATP is more for sanitation verification than micro-organism detection.  This would be more for say, listeria showing up in a drain and swabbing outward from the drain to see how wide spread the contamination is. 

Did this auditor specifically make this call out to the ATP Program?  This also depends on your process (product risk) and how the program is laid out.  

1 Thank

I do agree that they are probably referring to vector swabbing or also known as radial swabbing, in which 8-10 swabs which include several zones are performed in a radial pattern outward from the site that tests positive in order to pinpoint the source of contamination.  Each new positive would trigger a new radial pattern until the source can be identified and eliminated.

1 Thank

Hi All!

We recently had our first SQF audit since implementation of ATP swabbing as part of our environmental monitoring program. Our auditor mentioned a "burst method" when retesting after failed results, I looked into it but couldn't find exactly what this is. I asked the ATP test kit company and they haven't heard of it either. I was wondering if anybody has any information about this? Thanks in advance!

The "burst" is probably short for "star burst", see -

https://www.ifsqn.co...sop/#entry90836

and

Implementing EMP program.pdf   1.09MB   98 downloads

3 Thanks

Is this an audit finding? Did the auditor mentioned something missing/ lacking on your EMP program?

If you have a corrective action procedure/ preventive for your failed result, then the auditor might simply gave this as additional information for you.

I'm surprised you were able to just use ATP for enviro swabbing..................................it's not in the spirit of the program...................this is to be directed to PATHOGENS specific to your facility/area/FG/process.......not a general clean/unclean swab

I'm surprised you were able to just use ATP for enviro swabbing..................................it's not in the spirit of the program...................this is to be directed to PATHOGENS specific to your facility/area/FG/process.......not a general clean/unclean swab

Hi Scampi,

Literature opinions can vary although many do agree with you.

eg see -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ng/#entry143017

Similar Discussion Topics
Zosi’s Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP) and risk assessment templates Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility Environmental Monitoring guidance Seafood facility 3M Environmental sampler abrasive swab sensitivity Flour Mill Environmental Monitoring Environmental Swabbing Matrix Environmental risk assessment and sample quantity SQF-2.4.8 - Is an Environmental Program Required? Environmental Monitoring Frequency of Testing Environmental Monitoring