What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

SQF Edition 8, 2.6.2 Product Trace

Started by , May 31 2019 05:44 PM
7 Replies

Hello,

The SQF Code, Edition 8, 2.6.2 - Product Trace, 2.6.2.2 states "Records of raw and packaging material receipt and use, and finished product dispatch and destination shall be maintained". Just wondering whether the production records should contain besides the lot numbers of primary packaging, the quantities used as well ? For example - indicate how many meters or strands of casing were used for a batch of sausages.

Thank you in advance for your insights.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product Is there a minimum PPM of nitrites necessary to deem a product food safe when curing meats? Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor? How would I verify my HACCP Plan for new product? SQF Edition 9 - Internal Audit
[Ad]

Hi haccpbfs,

It is good practice to record quantities and something I would expect to see.

Although this isn't clear in the SQF Code, SQF Guidance states 'The product trace system must account for raw materials, packaging materials and processing aids used that may impact on food safety.'

Kind regards,

Tony

1 Thank

Including quantities is needed when you conduct a mass balance calculations during your mock recall exercises.

1 Thank

You're batch records should have formulas to support them. I would expect they would contain the packaging that is used per batch. So, I wouldn't think you need it on the batch record, but when calculating a trace ability, you will use the formulas for case count, liners, casing etc etc etc

1 Thank

Scampi,

All production records contains the lot numbers of the primary packaging (i.g. casings) used, however they don't contain the quantities used. I am just wondering whether the exact amounts of the packaging materials used per batch must be recorded in a daily production log for the future traceability/mock recall exercise?

In case of a recall, you'll need to verify that you have successfully repatriated the full amount of product that was shipped.

Knowing which lot got how many will significantly accelerate the process and allow you to identify where you lost trace of some product.

Wasted quantities is also something that should be recorded.

The rest is math.

1 Thank

i would NOT put those on the batch records............too many things to count

Waste should be recorded on the floor on it's own record.............then the rest is math

1 Thank

i would NOT put those on the batch records............too many things to count

Waste should be recorded on the floor on it's own record.............then the rest is math

Yes you're right, I meant to say that those should be recorded somewhere

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product Is there a minimum PPM of nitrites necessary to deem a product food safe when curing meats? Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor? How would I verify my HACCP Plan for new product? SQF Edition 9 - Internal Audit Foreign Material Handling for product with meat filling Label Reconciliation problem SQF edition 9 Intestines - Edible Meat Product? Can I use up current packaging or is new required if the product formulation has changed? What are the quality parameters that need to be included in the product specification sheet?