What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Seeking help allergen validation poultry plant

Started by , Jun 06 2019 11:33 AM
3 Replies

Hi guys, I am trying to establish an cleaning and sanitation allergen validation study, working at a poultry processing plants that does hot dogs, chicken patties. fried drum stick, nuggets etc,the problem is that we have 9 allergens used including the big 8 and sulfites. Can we use a general protein swab for validation study instead of using specific test kit? Or do we have to go by each kind of allergen. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Managing Customer Audit Dates: Seeking Advice on Rescheduling for Convenience Seeking advice, employer making questionable, inappropriate, and possibly illegal decisions and actions Seeking Advice on Transitioning to a Consulting Role Seeking advice transitioning our HACCP plan into an SQF program Seeking Guidance on Lead Food Auditor Training and Internal Food Auditor Training
[Ad]

Hello, 

I work in a poultry plant as well, and we have in place an Allergen program that includes:

Production schedule planning, from Non Allergen Containing Products to Most Allergen Containing Products

Cleaning Verification with specific allergen swabs. we swab at the beginning of the study 10 consecutive production days (after cleaning machinery used to produce with an specific allergen) if everything comes back negative, then we document a assessment  to decrease to 5 consecutive samples if everything comes back negative, we decrease to once a month. we also send take swabs to send to an external laboratory with one control sample (know that is positive) at this point we are sending to the lab for validation every quarter and we verify cleaning effectiveness monthly.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

What's the detection limit on the protein swab?

If you're looking at the big 8 as mentioned, protein won't be sufficient from a label verification standpoint.........what I mean is you won't know which allergen(s) is still present and therefore won't be able to figure out what steps need to be taken to rectifiy the situation

Segregation during processing and swabbing for each allergen would be my recommendation particularly for validation.............once you've validated your process, then maybe, but definitely not just protein swabs for validation

Similar Discussion Topics
Managing Customer Audit Dates: Seeking Advice on Rescheduling for Convenience Seeking advice, employer making questionable, inappropriate, and possibly illegal decisions and actions Seeking Advice on Transitioning to a Consulting Role Seeking advice transitioning our HACCP plan into an SQF program Seeking Guidance on Lead Food Auditor Training and Internal Food Auditor Training Seeking US based FDA recognized LACF process authority? Bag opening: Seeking alternatives to knives. Seeking pest frequency risk assessment template Seeking a company that completes magnet pull strength tests on the east coast? Seeking information on setting up a cola carbonated drink factory