What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Is date of manufacture mandatory?

Started by , Jun 19 2019 03:34 AM
5 Replies
Hi,

We import food products from the US and UK. As per local regulations production date is mandatory. But I have noticed none of the imported food products have production date. The manufacturer indicates the lot or batch code and expiry date only.

Is production date not mandatory in other parts of the world? I am trying to understand the logic of insisting on the production date as in my opinion the expiry date is what matters? Please let me know your thoughts thanks

Roshni
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SQF 2.3.2 - Mandatory Elements What is the best way to stay up to date with EU legislation drafts? Mandatory certificates or courses for SQF Repacked Products Expiry Date Choice of Auditor and Auditing Date
[Ad]

Mandatory information to print on product label entirely depends on the local and regional regulations. If the importer country have no such regulation then manufacturer could not be forced to print the same. As you have said, expiry date or best before date seem more important to a consumer as compared to manufacturing date, so many manufacturer skip it where regulation permits them to do so.

In the UK, printing the production date is not mandatory, only minimum date of durability / use by / freezing (where product is frozen more than once).

https://eur-lex.euro...9919934&from=EN

I agree with you in that I don't think the production date on the labelling is particularly necessary, as the batch & expiry date will suffice for communication with the supplier regarding traceability/extension etc.

UK and US do not have a mandatory requirement for a production date. 

In the USA, it is not mandatory. Except for infant formula.

Thank you all for your feedback. Great help!

Similar Discussion Topics
SQF 2.3.2 - Mandatory Elements What is the best way to stay up to date with EU legislation drafts? Mandatory certificates or courses for SQF Repacked Products Expiry Date Choice of Auditor and Auditing Date Any recommendations for a date label gun? USFDA Food Labeling Date format Changing audit re-certification date Is wearing a mask mandatory in the factory candy packaging? Procedures for the safe, legal disposal or return of obsolete or out-of-date chemicals and empty chemical containerstainers