What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Does anyone know how to test culinary steam for purity?

Started by , Jul 03 2019 05:23 PM
8 Replies

During a past SQF Audit( Food Safety Code Edition 8.0) an auditor asked if i tested culinary steam for purity. Does anyone know how to test culinary steam for purity?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Microbiological Test Standard BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces What does SQF require one to test in the compressed air that has indirect contact with food? Test kit to verify that all sanitizer residues are completely removed BRCGS Clause 3.11.3 - Incident management test must include a recall test?
[Ad]

If you are using steam as a means of cooking or blanching, it might be an issue if it's contaminated. Could you elaborate more on how steam is used in your plant? That way we could provide more insight on how to help you out. 

1 Thank

I believe it is treated in the same manner as compressed air under "Air Quality" section in SQF 8.  

1 Thank
Steam is required to be tested for purity. The test medium is similar to that used for inline compressed air testing.

In my previous organization we use to collect steam condensate and send to external lab for analysis for heavy metals and microbial load.

1 Thank

If you are using steam as a means of cooking or blanching, it might be an issue if it's contaminated. Could you elaborate more on how steam is used in your plant? That way we could provide more insight on how to help you out. 

We inject steam into our product through a steam auger in order to increase the moisture

Waters used to produce steam are sometimes added with chemicals to avoid rust and calcium chlorid deposite in boilers. Some products are not food grade. One need to know how this steam was prepared and what chemicals were added.

Water boilers treated with chemicals may have a critical limit for residue in the steam, collecting condensate can be tested for residual chemicals of concern.

FDA guidelines

https://www.accessda....cfm?FR=173.310

A facility I was in used culinary steam and we tested the condensate for appropriate chemical levels (boiler treatment chemicals). 

We also used steam filters rated to 0.95% efficient at 2 microns or larger and these filters were sent out for physical inspection and micro testing whenever they were changed out.  We changed the filters based on number of uses, filters were used in "batches" and our PLC system kept track of the number of batches and locked operators out of equipment once it reached a certain number.  It was a neat setup.  Not many people would think of this...but my former facility director did and I'm glad he did.

Similar Discussion Topics
Microbiological Test Standard BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces What does SQF require one to test in the compressed air that has indirect contact with food? Test kit to verify that all sanitizer residues are completely removed BRCGS Clause 3.11.3 - Incident management test must include a recall test? If I change the Xray Silicon 4.0 test sample to 8.0 mm will there be any problems? PAA test strips not matching titration results Walnut test frequency Can we test the water used in our facility using water testing kits? Test for determining Milk Fat adulteration in the dairy Industry.