What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Is okay to Freeze an ingredient that is about to expire?

Started by , Jul 09 2019 02:18 AM
4 Replies

Hi All,

Please I am just curious  if it is okay or a good practice to freeze  ingredient such as meat products, bread etc that is having a few days or weeks to expiration and still be okay to use after thawing?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Ingredient List Question (FDA, USA) Non-food grade ingredient What is the requirement for damaged ingredient bags in dry storage area? First Expire First Out (FEFO) Policy How to control salt water brine as an ingredient?
[Ad]

Yes, in terms of safety. Quality is another question dependant on the food. Meats are usually ok though, we sometimes freeze down chilled raw material meat. Keep a written record though of dates and movement so you can keep track of expiry.

Hi All,

Please I am just curious  if it is okay or a good practice to freeze  ingredient such as meat products, bread etc that is having a few days or weeks to expiration and still be okay to use after thawing?

If the item is RTE-related, the situation may perhaps be more complicated.

Thanks you guys. I really do appreciate your contributions.  @Charles C,  I am just wondering why you said that for RTE, the situation may be more complicated?

Our final product is RTE  - is there something else we might have to consider ? Please can you explain a little bit more. Thanks once again.

Thanks you guys. I really do appreciate your contributions.  @Charles C,  I am just wondering why you said that for RTE, the situation may be more complicated?

Our final product is RTE  - is there something else we might have to consider ? Please can you explain a little bit more. Thanks once again.

Some hypothetical difficulties involving the onward use of (frozen) relevant item/finished product crossed my mind. :smile:

Can you be more specific as to the ingredient,  finished product, and process involved ?

Similar Discussion Topics
Ingredient List Question (FDA, USA) Non-food grade ingredient What is the requirement for damaged ingredient bags in dry storage area? First Expire First Out (FEFO) Policy How to control salt water brine as an ingredient? Product cooling (RTE) in an ingredient storage area Transportation of a frozen ingredient Form of ingredient to include on labels Customer will not provide their ingredient recipe Freeze Dried Meat Risks