What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

pH Electrode/Probe Cleaning and High Fat Items

Started by , Jul 30 2019 07:01 PM
10 Replies

I'm doing baseline pH testing on our bakery mixes.  They are full of margarine and shortening, which is coating my electrode and probe and is currently a nightmare to get off.

Anyone have this situation with what they test, and how do you handle cleaning the probe and electrode effectively?  

Thanks in advance!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Checking frozen incoming material using digital probe thermometer Anyone have a template for the V6 Risk Based Plan for Tanker Cleaning risk assessment? Cleaning chemical discrepancies and chemical logs Cleaning of Hoses BRCGS 8.1.2 - Cooked Crustacea High Risk-High Care
[Ad]

Alcohol prep pads.  I used to take dozens of salame pHs every day.  https://www.cvs.com/...t-prodid-297584

How are you cleaning the probes currently?

How are you cleaning the probes currently?

This is a new project and I've only taken a few samples - so I've been testing a few options.  

I have an electrode cleaning solution I soaked it in, but that doesn't work well.  

The best I've come up with so far is dawn dish soap in a wash bottle.  (Appears that Dawn is a non-ionic surfactant?  If my google searches are to be trusted?)  Soaking it in a dawn dish soap solution didn't really get it loose enough by itself (with a DI rinse after). 

Alcohol prep pads.  I used to take dozens of salame pHs every day.  https://www.cvs.com/...t-prodid-297584

Thanks!  I will try that.  How was it on your electrode - as in, how often did you need to change them out?  

Have seen testers wipe their instruments with coconut oil prior to use and use 95% Alcholol wipes to clean up.

If I were you I'd reach out to tech support for the instrument, and/or probe.  If you are using a ThermoFisher type pH meter / probe their technical group is wonderful in troubleshooting and resolving issues.  pH measurement can be quite complex.  You have to make sure you are using the correct probe for the medium you are testing and have the correct cleaner / detergent, as well as, storage solution.

Thermo does make an electrode cleaner which is specifically for oil and greases. I used this in a past life where we had oil based products. Oils & fats do wreak havoc on pH probes. I would apply some of the cleaner to a Kim Wipe, and wipe the probe off between every few samples (or as needed), and then rinse the cleaner off of the probe with Deionized water.

Thermo does make an electrode cleaner which is specifically for oil and greases. I used this in a past life where we had oil based products. Oils & fats do wreak havoc on pH probes. I would apply some of the cleaner to a Kim Wipe, and wipe the probe off between every few samples (or as needed), and then rinse the cleaner off of the probe with Deionized water.

Be careful with this - I've seen pH meters that specifically state in the instructions NOT to use deionized water for cleaning.

Also, as a general rule, if you are going to clean your pH meter with a wipe, towel, whatever, you need to be very gentle as too much friction can cause static and mess with the electrode.

Be careful with this - I've seen pH meters that specifically state in the instructions NOT to use deionized water for cleaning.

Also, as a general rule, if you are going to clean your pH meter with a wipe, towel, whatever, you need to be very gentle as too much friction can cause static and mess with the electrode.

The pH meters I worked with did not instruct not to use deionized water. The point I was trying to make was that the cleaner needed to be rinsed off. It's not to be left on the probe, no matter what is used to rinse the probe. 

Also, yes - Kim Wipes are meant for delicate tasks, and you do have to deliver the cleaner to the probe as it is a liquid. Therefore, the Kim Wipe (with gentle usage) is the way we went about doing it. 

I'd hope that the user already knows how to use their pH meter, and has read its instructions. However, to the OP - yes, there are cleaners available which are specifically for oils/greases.

The pH meters I worked with did not instruct not to use deionized water. The point I was trying to make was that the cleaner needed to be rinsed off. It's not to be left on the probe, no matter what is used to rinse the probe. 

Also, yes - Kim Wipes are meant for delicate tasks, and you do have to deliver the cleaner to the probe as it is a liquid. Therefore, the Kim Wipe (with gentle usage) is the way we went about doing it. 

I'd hope that the user already knows how to use their pH meter, and has read its instructions. However, to the OP - yes, there are cleaners available which are specifically for oils/greases.

I had never seen the "do not use deionized water" instructions either until inheriting this Oakton pH spear.

Similar Discussion Topics
Checking frozen incoming material using digital probe thermometer Anyone have a template for the V6 Risk Based Plan for Tanker Cleaning risk assessment? Cleaning chemical discrepancies and chemical logs Cleaning of Hoses BRCGS 8.1.2 - Cooked Crustacea High Risk-High Care Food Manufacturing Cleaning Chemicals High risk area with positive pressure and microbiological air filtration Foaming machines in a cleaning management system HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards