What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What are the primary differences between BRC and SQF?

Started by , Aug 01 2019 08:37 PM
4 Replies

Greetings.  I understand that there are some discussions on this in the forums but wanted to get an updated answer.

We are a BRC certificated company (Grain, Flour, Milled grains) for about 9 years now.  I realize that customer preference can be a primary factor in GFSI auditing standards. But what are the primary differences between BRC and SQF?

Thank you for your time.

Ben

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Shelf Life of Primary Packaging What supplier documentation is required when using Aluminium Foil as Primary Packaging? Does primary conversion section 5.9 of BRCGS Version 9 apply to lobsters? BRCGS Section 5.9 - Animal Primary Conversion Importing Primary Packaging from China to USA
[Ad]

HI Ben,

We've always seen BRC as being slightly "harder" or I should say more time needed to administer than SQF. There are some anomolies - but frankly few.

While the selection of a GFSI Scheme is most times based on customers we have found 100% of the time that a customer that wants BRC will gladly accept SQF and thus we stopped offering BRC consulting a while back.

We just had this come up with two new clients for developments, the customers wanted BRC and they decided to go with SQF and that was  100% fine with their respective customers.

Most times customers don't really know why they want one over another - all they really care about is their supplier gets GFSI certified.

1 Thank

Evaluation system is different. Seems (IMO) to favour SQF auditees.

Both Standards have their own quirks/nonsensicals, eg BRC for addiction to risk assessments, verbal complexities;, SQF for Validation, failures to update some errors after a decade. All elaborated in many previous threads.

Practical audit consequences maybe also related to risk status of audited Facility.

Thanks much Glenn!

Evaluation system is different. Seems (IMO) to favour SQF auditees.

Both Standards have their own quirks/nonsensicals, eg BRC for addiction to risk assessments, verbal complexities;, SQF for Validation, failures to update some errors after a decade. All elaborated in many previous threads.

Practical audit consequences maybe also related to risk status of audited Facility.

BRC definitely loves risk assessments; there are over 30 required RAs if I recall correctly.

Similar Discussion Topics
Shelf Life of Primary Packaging What supplier documentation is required when using Aluminium Foil as Primary Packaging? Does primary conversion section 5.9 of BRCGS Version 9 apply to lobsters? BRCGS Section 5.9 - Animal Primary Conversion Importing Primary Packaging from China to USA Differences between BRC 5.4 - Authenticity and IFS 4.3 - Product Fraud Differences between FSMA, VQIP and FDA Audits PRPs , GMPs , GHP , GSP , GAP , what is the differences ? Drop Policy for Raw and Primary Packaging Materials Risk Assessments-Primary Packaging