What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Risk assessment for service dogs in the facility property

Started by , Aug 07 2019 08:48 PM
7 Replies

Hello all,

We are an SQF certified manufacturer of low risk ready to eat food. At the front part of the building, in adjacent to the office area, we have a store that sells some of our products, souvenirs and tools for farmers.  

Once in a while we have a customer with a service dog that comes to the store.

The store has a door to  the storage area that is farther connected to the facility storage area.

Should I perform a documented risk assessment for the dogs inside the store? 

We are trying to figure out what risk is  introduced by the dogs in the store, they are not going to the storage or production area.

Thank you!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Example of a risk assessment template Health & Safety Risk Assessment Zosi’s Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP) and risk assessment templates Is pulling the cords out from the ear buds a risk to contamination? HACCP plan for chocolate and risk area decision tree
[Ad]

Fast Answer -- YES you need to and keep it on file as a just in case at audit time.

Longer answer -- is your store under your SQF scope of certification ( I ask because we have a client that operates a bakery and has a coffee/donut shop attached) you will need create a policy on acceptance of "service animals" and post a sign authorizing same at entrances - plus do a risk assessment based on possibility of product impact, etc.

1 Like1 Thank

Fast Answer -- YES you need to and keep it on file as a just in case at audit time.

Longer answer -- is your store under your SQF scope of certification ( I ask because we have a client that operates a bakery and has a coffee/donut shop attached) you will need create a policy on acceptance of "service animals" and post a sign authorizing same at entrances - plus do a risk assessment based on possibility of product impact, etc.

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for your response. The store is not in the SQF scope of certification. In this case do I still need a risk assessment?

Thank you!

I'd do one anyway and just hold onto it.
1 Like1 Thank

BTW at former employer (SQF certified) the family dog was included as part of the "security system" because he'd bark like a maniac..........but he was never in production areas,.........auditor had no issue with it

1 Like1 Thank

I don't think you can legally exclude service dogs btw.....

Even if the store is not listed in the scope it has a potential impact, albeit very minimal, as it is incidentally connected to the manufacturing facility. The Risk Assessment will show this and explain the reasoning for low / no risk to production. The risk assessment is for the manufacturing plant, not the store. It explores all risk to manufacturing from any potential sources.

1 Thank

Thank you all for your comments! :spoton:

Similar Discussion Topics
Example of a risk assessment template Health & Safety Risk Assessment Zosi’s Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP) and risk assessment templates Is pulling the cords out from the ear buds a risk to contamination? HACCP plan for chocolate and risk area decision tree Anyone have a template for the V6 Risk Based Plan for Tanker Cleaning risk assessment? BRCGS 8.1.2 - Cooked Crustacea High Risk-High Care High risk area with positive pressure and microbiological air filtration Risk assessments Allergen Risk Assessment