What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Acceptable PPE for food contact packaging (high hygiene)?

Started by , Aug 27 2019 09:27 AM
8 Replies

Hi,

I was looking for some information on acceptable PPE for food contact packaging (high hygiene). At the moment our other site, which is already accredited, just wears a t shirt and trousers which are company issued and self laundered. So far this has never been raised in an audit, however I can't understand how it hasn't. There's no way staff would change out of their t-shirt when using the toilet or going for lunch, and although they are supposed to change out of work clothes before leaving the site, it doesn't happen. To me it would be more convenient, and more hygienic, to have an overcoat which can be removed when going out with the hygiene area.

Am I overthinking this and being too pernickety? 

Thanks

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Acceptable tolerance of calibration measurement equipment What are acceptable limits for compressed air testing for raw frozen beef steaks? Acceptable Yeast and Mold limits for Fruit Fillings Acceptable level of Bacillus bacteria in the environment EMP Are black safety shoes acceptable in a food plant?
[Ad]

I agree with you. For me is the best solution

1 Thank

not picky at all....I agree with your comments

This is a contributor of cross contamination

1 Thank

Hi,

I was looking for some information on acceptable PPE for food contact packaging (high hygiene). At the moment our other site, which is already accredited, just wears a t shirt and trousers which are company issued and self laundered. So far this has never been raised in an audit, however I can't understand how it hasn't. There's no way staff would change out of their t-shirt when using the toilet or going for lunch, and although they are supposed to change out of work clothes before leaving the site, it doesn't happen. To me it would be more convenient, and more hygienic, to have an overcoat which can be removed when going out with the hygiene area.

Am I overthinking this and being too pernickety? 

Thanks

Assuming this is BRC, the requirements seem to be well-detailed in section 6.5 including aspects such as you mention above.

So logically "No".

1 Thank

Sarahm96

Have you completed a risk assessment on your PPE in question ? Do you have any complaints from your customers that point to uniforms or uniform cleaning as being the root cause. Sometimes we do over think and side with caution and create a process that does not really need to be created. I am a SQF Practitioner at a packaging facility, and have graded out at 97 for my recent SQF certification, I simply addressed the uniform concern with a risk assessment showing that I have a system in place and that the system has proved positive since I do not have a complaint or a issue. That seems to work. 

1 Thank

Sarahm96

Have you completed a risk assessment on your PPE in question ? Do you have any complaints from your customers that point to uniforms or uniform cleaning as being the root cause. Sometimes we do over think and side with caution and create a process that does not really need to be created. I am a SQF Practitioner at a packaging facility, and have graded out at 97 for my recent SQF certification, I simply addressed the uniform concern with a risk assessment showing that I have a system in place and that the system has proved positive since I do not have a complaint or a issue. That seems to work. 

Hi wjmcc,

I suspect BRC have much more detailed requirements than SQF (rightly or wrongly). Welcome to be proven wrong though. :smile:

1 Thank

So are you a manufacturer of food packaging or a food packaging plant? If you manufacture food packaging the risk of contamination from clothing in good condition is very low given that nearly all operations occur above waist level. "Company issued clothing in good, clean condition" (how we state it in policy) should also have a very low impact given that the machines are mostly enclosed or prevent contact during the process. We require hair and beard nets in the high hygiene areas only. Other GMPs cover the risks beyond that. Just make sure your risk assessment is documented, reasonable and supported.

1 Thank

So are you a manufacturer of food packaging or a food packaging plant? If you manufacture food packaging the risk of contamination from clothing in good condition is very low given that nearly all operations occur above waist level. "Company issued clothing in good, clean condition" (how we state it in policy) should also have a very low impact given that the machines are mostly enclosed or prevent contact during the process. We require hair and beard nets in the high hygiene areas only. Other GMPs cover the risks beyond that. Just make sure your risk assessment is documented, reasonable and supported.

Hi Hoosiersmoker,

We manufacture packaging materials, but don't package any food on site. Our processes are quite open for certain processes.

As you're in the UK, would I be correct in assuming that you're BRC/IOP certified?

I'd have a look at section 6.5 of the standard, and particularly 6.5.9 - it's acceptable for staff to do their own laundry for work clothing, but there are expectations around control.

Similar Discussion Topics
Acceptable tolerance of calibration measurement equipment What are acceptable limits for compressed air testing for raw frozen beef steaks? Acceptable Yeast and Mold limits for Fruit Fillings Acceptable level of Bacillus bacteria in the environment EMP Are black safety shoes acceptable in a food plant? IFS 3.3.3 - What is acceptable as a training signature? Is a signature stamp acceptable for use in the food safety plan? Standard Plate Count acceptable results Acceptable Peroxide Values in Palm Free Stabilizer Color deviation acceptable range