What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to control scissors in the plant?

Started by , Oct 21 2019 04:40 PM
11 Replies

Hi All,

Can someone advise how you control your scissors in the plant and what type of storage used?

We have purchased knife baskets for all our knives but couldn't find any for our scissors, anyone recommend a good and economic way?

Thanks for your help.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Mayonnaise Glass Bottling Plant Process Reusable Water Bottles on plant floor Document Control Salary for Quality Control Supervisor BRCGS 5.4.1 Process control
[Ad]

Hello and welcome to the forum,

My previous site stored scissors with the knives in cabinets with magnetic strips. The scissors were ID marked and applicable to the same register, hygiene and damage procedures as the knives. 

Are you with a particular scheme? If so it should have requirements governing sharps/blades that will likely cover scissors in that category.

Of course if you are using the scissors for particular things i.e. vegetarian products you will need to consider this too.

1 Thank

Hello and welcome to the forum,

My previous site stored scissors with the knives in cabinets with magnetic strips. The scissors were ID marked and applicable to the same register, hygiene and damage procedures as the knives. 

Are you with a particular scheme? If so it should have requirements governing sharps/blades that will likely cover scissors in that category.

Of course if you are using the scissors for particular things i.e. vegetarian products you will need to consider this too.

Thanks for your advice. We are in a meat plant and looking for SQF certification. Thanks.

Thanks for your advice. We are in a meat plant and looking for SQF certification. Thanks.

No problem. I'm not familiar with SQF (I'm the BRC-ish side of the pond  ;)) but there are several SQF knowledgeable folk here whom I'm sure will be able to offer more specific guidance for the scheme. 

Have clients that stored marked units on magnetic strips in a locked cabinet and treat logging same as for knives.

1 Like

We limit their use and have them on chains to keep them attached to desks in production.

I was in a SQF certified meat facility. We use magnets for knives & baskets-on-the-door for scissors. Tools are numbered, assigned to responsible person, and signed-off on a tool control record at the end of the day.

I don't think SQF mentioned anything abt scissor control though.... We did this as a corrective action of customer compliant. The customer found a scissor in a bulk packed box from us (which was embarrassing). 

1 Like

I was in a SQF certified meat facility. We use magnets for knives & baskets-on-the-door for scissors. Tools are numbered, assigned to responsible person, and signed-off on a tool control record at the end of the day.

I don't think SQF mentioned anything abt scissor control though.... We did this as a corrective action of customer compliant. The customer found a scissor in a bulk packed box from us (which was embarrassing). 

Thanks for your advice. We are SQF certified meat facility as well, since SQF mentioned all the knives and cutting instruments must be controlled and we use scissors to cut our meat into strips, that's why I think it's necessary to keep the scissors in control as knives as well.

Have clients that stored marked units on magnetic strips in a locked cabinet and treat logging same as for knives.

Thanks, that's a good one we can give a try.

We have plastic holders on the wall with holes where the scissors are kept. All scissors have a number etched into the handle, and the handles are color coded by area. We count all scissors at the beginning and end of each shift, and in more sensitive areas we have staff sign the scissors in and out, recording the number and the time.
1 Thank

We have plastic holders on the wall with holes where the scissors are kept. All scissors have a number etched into the handle, and the handles are color coded by area. We count all scissors at the beginning and end of each shift, and in more sensitive areas we have staff sign the scissors in and out, recording the number and the time.

Thanks, Fishlady. Would you mind telling me where you purchased the plastic holder for scissors? Thanks. 

We got them from Daco.  I believe they were made by Remco- clear hard plastic (need to add them to your hard plastic register).

Attached Files

Similar Discussion Topics
Mayonnaise Glass Bottling Plant Process Reusable Water Bottles on plant floor Document Control Salary for Quality Control Supervisor BRCGS 5.4.1 Process control Questions used to determine the critical control point Is wearing of steel toe shoes required on the plant floor? Help with Process Development for Dressings, Sauce, Dips Plant Control of nitrile gloves Does the freezer need to be on the flow chart as a preventative control