What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Defrost Labels for Catering

Started by , Nov 12 2019 10:41 AM
4 Replies

Hi all, 

I have been asked to look into some EHO reports for some catering company's.

The one issue that keeps coming up is labels, no surprise there.

The issue was: When a raw material comes out of a freezer they don't put a defrost label on.

I have looked around and I can find anything around defrost labels for catering. 

So my question is, would you have a defrost label on the raw material that is being defrosted, and would you put the defrost label over the suppliers Best Before Date?

Thanks 

Brent Crouch  

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Scope of BRCGS- Repack and Defrost traded gods Has anyone defined a defrost temperature of frozen food for pH checking? Thawing/Defrost of raw material (meat)
[Ad]

I have been involved in this at past positions. Our practice was to apply a label that included a date of defrost and a use by date. It can either based on material best quality or last expected day of use.

Seems like a good idea. How much info do you need to keep track of? Just the date of defrost? Labelmakers abound and are your friends, or if everything has <1week shelf life after defrost, you can designate a colored sticker for every day of the week and skip having to generate a dated label.

in my experience in catering, there is always an intenal policy on thawing which helps minimize the confusion. Usually thawing is max 3 days/72 hours and a defrost label is place on the material. This way materials are only brought out of the freezer when its needed. It is a night mare to monitor thawing + best before date by a production employee.

Hi, 

Thanks for your posts. 

I have spoken to the EHO and they said the below:

If you defrost a particular item of food, the manufacturer’s instructions should always be followed. If it is something made by yourselves then you need to have a system place to ensure whatever it is, is defrosted, day doted ( or  labelled with date of defrost/and or use by).

The same would apply to best before products. This needs to be a system that all chefs are aware of when defrosting products. You also need to then decide on that products shelf life. Again I would re iterate that its best to follow the manufacturers guidance. 

so, would you put the defrost label over the best before date or not?

Similar Discussion Topics
Scope of BRCGS- Repack and Defrost traded gods Has anyone defined a defrost temperature of frozen food for pH checking? Thawing/Defrost of raw material (meat)