What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to write an exclusion to a clause into our procedures?

Started by , Nov 15 2019 08:18 PM
9 Replies

2.3.4 does not apply to our program. How do I write that into procedure? Our consultant just put N/A.in our report.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
ISO 22000:2018 - Clause 4.3 SQF Clause 5.2.1 - Artwork customer approval Transportation Procedures BRCGS Storage and Distribution - Clause 1.1.9 From what perspective to I write my Food Safety Manual when manufacturing is outsourced
[Ad]

Long ago, I created an SOP for handling outside contract manufacturers even though my client never used one. It just says that they will be held to the same standard as an supplier. So, for example, they need to provide a Specification, and a COA for each lot of finished product.

We don't have any outside manufacturers. We manufacture everything in house.

We don't have any outside manufacturers. We manufacture everything in house.

Exactly. So the SOP basically says, "if we had outside contractors, they would be held to the standards in the supplier SOP (which see)." 

1 Thank

For our clients that do not have any contact manufacturers we write 2.3.4 Contract Manufacturers statement (for the benefit really of the Auditor) that the company does not presently use the services of contract manfacturers, but that in the future the company will follow the requirements of 2.3.4 and any other applicable requirements should the company decide to use a contract manufacturer.

Works everytime.

Don't know what the heck N/A on a report means.

1 Like2 Thanks

Don't know what the heck N/A on a report means.

I'm guessing the consultant meant that the rule didn't apply to them since they don't use contract manufacturers, he put down not applicable. But as you know, like with allergens and other clauses, you can't write that.

Hi Karlie,

Create it the same way you would if it were a procedure; however, in the body text say it is non applicable.

My experience you dont need to put anything into procedure because it doesn't apply. The auditor will ask you when he gets to that and you will simply say "no we dont use contract manufacturing", and they will write N/A.

It worked with like 5 auditors I had :)

I agree you don't need to do anything.   you may want to create a procedure on how you would handle them. 

Ive seen NAs in numerous sections.  

You can't write procedure for something you don't do. 2.3.4 is a non-mandatory element for just that reason. You will however have to explain that to your auditor. Last year we had a contract manufacturer but unfortunately they went out of business a few months ago. We audited them annually for 4 years. Had a program in place and passed that section of the re-cert audit We received all of our WIP from them and that was that. Yesterday the auditor asked if we had a contract manufacturer and we said not any more. He marked it N/A and moved on.

We receive N/A submissions for a few elements. It simply means there is nothing we can do within our organization for that element- We perform no action toward it therefore there is nothing to audit.

Similar Discussion Topics
ISO 22000:2018 - Clause 4.3 SQF Clause 5.2.1 - Artwork customer approval Transportation Procedures BRCGS Storage and Distribution - Clause 1.1.9 From what perspective to I write my Food Safety Manual when manufacturing is outsourced BRCGS Clause 3.11.3 - Incident management test must include a recall test? Food Security Policies and Procedures Clause 8.5.1.2 - Characteristics of raw materials, ingredients and product contact materials FSSC 22000 Clause 2.5.1 - Management of Services and Purchased Materials External Cleaning Contractor Procedures and Records