What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Is outsourced packing considered contract manufacturing under SQF?

Started by , Nov 27 2019 02:18 PM
5 Replies

Hi Everyone,

We are looking to use an external company to pack our packaged bars into cartons. Would this external company fall under the contract manufacturer section of the SQF code? They are not producing our product, they are only putting the packaged bars into cartons and sealing the cartons shut. 

Thank you for your help!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Packing process for a new beverage Hairnets for a packaging component manufacturing facility From what perspective to I write my Food Safety Manual when manufacturing is outsourced What are companies responsible that uses contract manufacturer? Food Manufacturing Cleaning Chemicals
[Ad]

Yes, as far as I know, contract manufacturer. Considering the fact that they are PRIMARILY packaging (from what I understood) your product. So you need to make sure of all their operations. 

they are a service (contract) provider and not a contract manufacturer.  Contract manufactuer woud make the product and pack it.  

1 Like1 Thank

We do this exact work for large companies, they send us their goods already produced and sealed and we simply package them in the designated case packs/assortments. These companies do not require any information from us in regards to SQF, BRC, food safety docs., etc. However, we also pack open goods into final packaging for large customers whom then require to see our certifications and food safety documents. I believe this scenario is more of the contract manufacture like what SQFconsultant said. 

So in conclusion, if you are sending your packaged goods to someone to be put into a box and sealed I would not consider that a contract manufacturer. 

1 Like1 Thank

We do this exact work for large companies, they send us their goods already produced and sealed and we simply package them in the designated case packs/assortments. These companies do not require any information from us in regards to SQF, BRC, food safety docs., etc. However, we also pack open goods into final packaging for large customers whom then require to see our certifications and food safety documents. I believe this scenario is more of the contract manufacture like what SQFconsultant said. 

So in conclusion, if you are sending your packaged goods to someone to be put into a box and sealed I would not consider that a contract manufacturer. 

I agree I would not consider them a contract manufacturer (I also would not consider you a contract manufacturer if you were packing designated sealed packages for me. I would say that I think the companies that are not requiring information from you are not following code. You are a contractor for them. They should have at least a copy of whatever certification you are required to have. If we have to have certifications from our contractors like plumber and electricians then certainly they should be requiring them from you.  At least that would be my interpretation of SQF code. 

Agreed! If the roles were reversed I would be asking for certification as well. If they ask for it, then I will provide it to them. 

Similar Discussion Topics
Packing process for a new beverage Hairnets for a packaging component manufacturing facility From what perspective to I write my Food Safety Manual when manufacturing is outsourced What are companies responsible that uses contract manufacturer? Food Manufacturing Cleaning Chemicals MAP Packing residual levels size variance Packaging manufacturing and tape. Still using safety masks in food manufacturing ? Contract Manufacturers Using shipping containers as modular rooms in food manufacturing