What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What are the steps when metal shavings found in our cocoa?

Started by , Dec 05 2019 05:44 PM
8 Replies

Hi,

We are compound chocolate and real chocolate manufacturer. We use lot cocoa  in our product. I found metal shaving in our cocoa. I put on 

HOLD. What steps might be next steps? 

Thank You.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations New Metal Detector requirements in the food safety management system BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces Metal Detection - is it a Monitoring Activity or a CCP? Metal detector rejects
[Ad]

How many lots did this cocoa make it in to?

Where are these lots?

Possible recall if product made it to the customer.

Supplier needs to know. 

How did this happen? 

Was there a fail in HACCP?

Is current foreign material control points not sufficient/effective?

2 Thanks

Do you have magnets as part of your programs?

2 Thanks

This product did not make it to consumer. This cocoa made into two products. Supplier is aware of metal shaving. 

We have magnet in line. Also we have filter and Metal detector. Metal was catched prior going to Metal detector. After investigation i found that it is coming from one of ingrdient. What i need to do next.

Determine if the metal poses a physical or chemical hazard. If the answer is yes, dispose of the material. You were lucky that it was caught before going to the customer, that's why you have metal detectors. When you have adulterated product, sometimes it can't be saved.

1 Thank

How does your CAPA procedure look like?  I am assuming this is part of our HACCP plan and metal is a CCP? What does your CA say?

Place product on hold,

Determine Root Cause through root cause analysis (where how it happened)

Corrections

Corrective Actions/ Preventive Actions

See if you need to revise your Hazard Analaysis and your Plan.

This product did not make it to consumer. This cocoa made into two products. Supplier is aware of metal shaving. 

We have magnet in line. Also we have filter and Metal detector. Metal was catched prior going to Metal detector. After investigation i found that it is coming from one of ingrdient. What i need to do next.

It all depends on the details of yr control system/item usage and related chronologies.

eg - Do you have reliable evidence that this was a "one-off" event/error or ............?

From a Supplier POV, you should immediately initiate "push-back" as appropriate, eg Post 2.

If you can prove it is a supplier problem / issue then put it all on them.  Don't risk the product and work with your accounting, purchasing, and operations to ensure your company has full restitution from the supplier.

As others have said initiate a RCA and CAPA; it may mean you have to change suppliers.

1 Like1 Thank

Look like we are not going to buy more product from them. Supplier have Metal detector as per my documents from supplier. But their HACCP plan fail. So i will just ask them corrective action and review their HACCP plan? Can i get any example of documents i should ask supplier?

Similar Discussion Topics
Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations New Metal Detector requirements in the food safety management system BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces Metal Detection - is it a Monitoring Activity or a CCP? Metal detector rejects Small manufacturer frozen ready meal process steps Metal detectable Infrared thermometer? Metal Detector Validation vs Calibration (11.2.10.2) Calibrated equipment found out of calibration Metal Detector Validation