What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Supplier or Contract Manufacturer?

Started by , Dec 18 2019 04:15 PM
4 Replies
Hi All,

Our company is looking for someone to produce a hard-to-find ingredient on our behalf. It's something we could produce in-house but might be difficult for us due to cross-contamination issues. However, the requirements for approving a supplier vs. a contract manufacturer are really different per the SQF codes (we are SQF certified for both Safety and Quality). My question is: What makes the difference between a contract manufacturer and a supplier? 

We're not asking the outside firm to create a final product for us, just an ingredient. But in the way we're thinking about it now, since it is a unique, hard-to-find ingredient, that we would provide the recipe, production guidance, and legal support for the manufacturer. I feel like we're blurring the line between a contract manufacturer and an ingredient supplier, but I'm not sure how to call it. Maybe contract manufacturer refers just to finished, ready-to-sell product, but that's not clear in the code (or I missed it).

Thanks!  

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Allergen checklist to supplier BRCGS 3.7.2 - Does a supplier have to have a HARA/HACCP to be an approved supplier through a questionnaire? Passing through Food Safety Documents from our supplier to our customer Approved Supplier Program - Spot Purchasing What supplier documentation is required when using Aluminium Foil as Primary Packaging?
[Ad]

Hello @QC in NC, im no expert in this matter but i will share my humble thoughts and let the experts later judge me.  :spoton:

- Contract manufacturer is when you ask that company to produce your final product and not just a part of it. (I think).

- In this case if that ingredient is part of your HACCP, it can not be accounted as a contract manufacturer but as a supplier.

However, wait always for an expert's opinion.

Hope this helps.....

Hi All,

Our company is looking for someone to produce a hard-to-find ingredient on our behalf. It's something we could produce in-house but might be difficult for us due to cross-contamination issues. However, the requirements for approving a supplier vs. a contract manufacturer are really different per the SQF codes (we are SQF certified for both Safety and Quality). My question is: What makes the difference between a contract manufacturer and a supplier? 

We're not asking the outside firm to create a final product for us, just an ingredient. But in the way we're thinking about it now, since it is a unique, hard-to-find ingredient, that we would provide the recipe, production guidance, and legal support for the manufacturer. I feel like we're blurring the line between a contract manufacturer and an ingredient supplier, but I'm not sure how to call it. Maybe contract manufacturer refers just to finished, ready-to-sell product, but that's not clear in the code (or I missed it).

Thanks!  

A contract manufacturer is one that either makes your product and packages it into your branded packaging or packs a product into your branded packaging.

Either way and for all intents and purposes it appears to the consumer to come from your company even though made/packed by another company.

The major requirement is that a contract manufacturer will need to be SQF certified like your company is, or any GFSI Cert or as the last resort mirror all the requirements of your SQF program - my feeling is if a company is going to do that they might as well get certified.

I have a client that has five contract manufacturers and each one is SQF or BRC certified.  

There are a couple of other requirements for a contract manufacturer as well, such as agreements, etc.

What you have there however is not a contract manufacturer, just a supplier and if you send your secret ingredient list to them you better have a strong non-disclosure in place.

1 Thank

Good Morning

Our company obtains ingredients from outside sources for manufacturing our finished products and we consider them to be suppliers. This was also a topic that came up during our recent SQF re-certificaiton and the auditor held the same opinion. 

Hope this helps! 

They are a raw material supplier. They are providing a finished product that you will use to complete your finished product. No different than a packaging supplier that uses raw materials to make their packaging (paper or plastic, inks, adhesives etc.). They wouldn't be considered a contract manufacturer, they are a supplier to your finished product.

Similar Discussion Topics
Allergen checklist to supplier BRCGS 3.7.2 - Does a supplier have to have a HARA/HACCP to be an approved supplier through a questionnaire? Passing through Food Safety Documents from our supplier to our customer Approved Supplier Program - Spot Purchasing What supplier documentation is required when using Aluminium Foil as Primary Packaging? Supplier not providing TDS Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Emergency Supplier Approvals Supplier Questionaire Radiological Free statement from supplier