What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

I need insight on how to label, or an identifiable marker, for hoses?

Started by , Jan 31 2020 04:31 PM
8 Replies

Good morning all, 

I need insight on how to label, or an identifiable marker, for our hoses.  We are a facility that manufactures food grade additives and sanitizing products, which are caustics and acids.  I know we need to label our hoses used for unloading rail cars and loading trucks but am stuck on what method to use.  Has anyone else encountered this issue?  All I can come up with is using a food grade paint on them and documenting that in our policy.

Thank you for your insight, 

Jill

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Cleaning of Hoses Question about a Misleading label Water hoses and nozzles - maintenance and cleaning schedule Trader Joe’s dumplings recall due to possible contamination with hard plastic from a permanent marker SQF 9 - Label Reconciliation
[Ad]

Use heat sleaves.

They come in a bunch of colors, neons,etc - it is a tube of vinyl/plastic that you slide onto the hoses and then heat them with a heat gun or simple hair dryer and they shrink and adhere to the rubber.

Uline should have them.

1 Like1 Thank

Great idea!  Thank you!

Do the hoses have metal fittings at the ends?

Heat shrink definitely works, but if you need to identify more than you can readily get colours for then you can also etch ID details into the fittings at each end of the hose.

1 Thank

Do the hoses have metal fittings at the ends?

Heat shrink definitely works, but if you need to identify more than you can readily get colours for then you can also etch ID details into the fittings at each end of the hose.

Etching in the metal ends corrode out pretty quick due to the pH of the products we handle.  (that was my first solution as well.)  :)

1 Thank

you could try stamped brass tags attached by a chain to the hose fitting.  Or how about designating each by a different color zip tie?  I use different colored zip ties for various cleaning utensils to keep them separated.

1 Like

These are good ideas - but it's always best to try and limit the amount of potential foreign material getting into product. I've seen some crazy things happen, and would hate to end up with a tag getting into the product somehow. 

I like the heat shrink, because once you've done the color coding,  it's done. You don't have to worry about the potential human error of putting the wrong color zip ties on the hoses after each use.

Beware that if the heat sleave is not firmly bonded it can create a growth niche. Not sure of what your application is entirely, but just a consideration.

Fluid hoses can be color coded. We use red, white, blue, yellow, and black for water, int/ext, chemicals.

Additionally to prevent cross connections you can change connections types i.e. male-to-female, female-to-male, compression, thread type, etc.

1 Thank
might not be available for what you require - purchase hoses pre-labled? (attached)

Attached Files

Similar Discussion Topics
Cleaning of Hoses Question about a Misleading label Water hoses and nozzles - maintenance and cleaning schedule Trader Joe’s dumplings recall due to possible contamination with hard plastic from a permanent marker SQF 9 - Label Reconciliation Label Reconciliation problem SQF edition 9 Allergen Label Checks In House Label Disfigurement Procedure SQF 2.6.1.2 Product changeover and label reconciliation records Label for a product with multiple vendors