What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Using Sodium Hydroxide to clean: Drano vs a carbon soak?

Started by , Feb 10 2020 09:05 PM
3 Replies

I have been buying a carbon soak concentrate solution to clean buildup (burned oil and dough) on steel bakers' strap pans.  The label shows the main active ingredient is sodium hydroxide ...same active ingredient in drano (or drain cleaners).

Can I use a drano solution to clean our straps in lieu of the carbon soak solution?  thanks,

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Water Concentration recommended for a cooling bath using Sodium hypochlorite 12.5% BRCGS Cleaning equipment in clean area Sodium Metabisulphite: Food additive or processing aid in potato production? How to clean and sanitize in a chocolate & confectionary facility? Drying and storing clean utensils and parts in utility sinks
[Ad]

I have been buying a carbon soak concentrate solution to clean buildup (burned oil and dough) on steel bakers' strap pans.  The label shows the main active ingredient is sodium hydroxide ...same active ingredient in drano (or drain cleaners).

Can I use a drano solution to clean our straps in lieu of the carbon soak solution?  thanks,

I would really not suggest doing that. I assume the carbon soak solution has instructions to ensure you use this at the proper ratio for pan cleaning and chemical removal. Aside from not knowing what the inactive ingredients in Drano are, it probably shouldn't be used for food contact surfaces, and wouldn't have instructions on how to prepare such a solution for your pans.

1 Like1 Thank

Why not use oven cleaner? It's sodium hydroxide.

https://www.easyoff....ee-oven-cleaner

1 Like1 Thank

Drano should not be used on pans.

Diversey makes a great product called Pan Clean, comes in an RTD bottle, just need to hook a hose up to it, spray it on and let stand a minute or so.

Years ago I worked with Johnson-Diversey so I am assuming that today's Diversey still has this nifty product.

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Water Concentration recommended for a cooling bath using Sodium hypochlorite 12.5% BRCGS Cleaning equipment in clean area Sodium Metabisulphite: Food additive or processing aid in potato production? How to clean and sanitize in a chocolate & confectionary facility? Drying and storing clean utensils and parts in utility sinks Supplier reducing sodium in product - still have old packaging film on hand Sodium Hydroxide Lead Time in the UK Why do we need to deep clean? SQF Plant - Using Boiling Water and Wipe to Clean the equipment without Detergent and Sanitizer Ideas on how to clean in a warehouse freezer?