What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

SQF 2.5.1.1 ii - critical food safety limits validation for egg production

Started by , Feb 14 2020 03:22 PM

2.5.1.1 ii says that "Critical food safety limits are validated, and re-validated annually." For the life of me I can't find out what the critical food safety limit for egg production is and I don't even know where to look.

The CFIA has been taking a more laissez-faire approach, i.e. letting us work and only reacting when something goes wrong. This is I believe in no small part due to the Harper Govt slashing their budget a decade ago. I am less able to rely on them for their inspections each year. As the onus for proving food safety shifts to us I feel lost sometimes.  

Does anyone have any experience with this section of the SQF code?

Thank you

Hi tadelong,

Apologies that I maybe misread yr OP.

What is the CCP whose critical limit you are seemingly unaware of ?  Washing stage ? eg -

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) provides operational guidelines for egg grading stations routinely in Canada to ensure that egg washing guides are followed. Guidelines include: maintenance of wash water at a temperature of 43°C to 46°C (110°F to 115°F); maintenance of wash water at pH 11.0 to 12.5; maintenance and routine cleaning of washers and their parts (for example, brushes and rollers); and complete change of wash water and cleaning of holding tanks every two to four hours (CFIA 2013). These guidelines were developed to eliminate pathogens that may be present in the wash water and to minimize microbial contamination of the washed eggs. At present, bacterial numbers in egg wash water are monitored to ensure that adequate sanitation is achieved. Total viable counts >1 to 5 cfu/ml are considered unacceptable (Bartlett et al. 1993). The United States currently has regulations governing wash water temperature and time between water changes in the tank..

https://content.ces....-for-shell-eggs

4 Replies

2.5.1.1 ii says that "Critical food safety limits are validated, and re-validated annually." For the life of me I can't find out what the critical food safety limit for egg production is and I don't even know where to look.

The CFIA has been taking a more laissez-faire approach, i.e. letting us work and only reacting when something goes wrong. This is I believe in no small part due to the Harper Govt slashing their budget a decade ago. I am less able to rely on them for their inspections each year. As the onus for proving food safety shifts to us I feel lost sometimes.  

Thank you

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Food Safety Videos- Recommendations? Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? food safety 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention
[Ad]

I work in fresh meat, but I made a table of all of my CCP's and Pre-Requisite Programs, stated what the verification method is and it's frequency, and then also have a validation method (in house studies, peer-reviewed journal articles, etc.) and when the latest validation was conducted. 

Thank you

hi tadelong,

Flowchart ?

Regulatory CCPs, haccp requirements ? (I looked at website but failed to find any).

I have seen a few suggested CCPs in other locations in the literature but their relevance depends on what you are actually doing ?.

Thank you

Hi tadelong,

Apologies that I maybe misread yr OP.

What is the CCP whose critical limit you are seemingly unaware of ?  Washing stage ? eg -

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) provides operational guidelines for egg grading stations routinely in Canada to ensure that egg washing guides are followed. Guidelines include: maintenance of wash water at a temperature of 43°C to 46°C (110°F to 115°F); maintenance of wash water at pH 11.0 to 12.5; maintenance and routine cleaning of washers and their parts (for example, brushes and rollers); and complete change of wash water and cleaning of holding tanks every two to four hours (CFIA 2013). These guidelines were developed to eliminate pathogens that may be present in the wash water and to minimize microbial contamination of the washed eggs. At present, bacterial numbers in egg wash water are monitored to ensure that adequate sanitation is achieved. Total viable counts >1 to 5 cfu/ml are considered unacceptable (Bartlett et al. 1993). The United States currently has regulations governing wash water temperature and time between water changes in the tank..

https://content.ces....-for-shell-eggs

1 Thank

Thank you for this, Charles. I feel a little stupid, honestly. These values are obviously what this code refers to but for some reason I wasn't seeing it as such.

Similar Discussion Topics
Food Safety Videos- Recommendations? Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? food safety 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention Repackaging of Food Grade product Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Zone 1,2,3 Limits in various facilities Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) SQF 2.5.1 Validation and Effectiveness