What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Labelling requirement for caffeine content?

Started by , Mar 03 2020 12:09 PM
2 Replies

Hello Team,

Do we need to declare on the label if my product contains 0.05 mg/100 grams caffein.

What is the limit for caffein?

Do i need to warn not suitable for pregnant woman and children.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Labelling af flavor in the US Can anyone recommend or suggest alternative options to Genesis R&D Food Labelling Software? Sales samples labelling Potassium salt labelling Food allergen labelling and information requirements technical guidance
[Ad]

Is this product for Fiji or another country. The rules change depending on the country.

As some of your other queries have been EU/UK-focussed, I will respond on that basis for now.
If it's a drink other than tea or coffee then any level above 150mg/L would trigger the requirement to include the statement: High caffeine content. Not recommended for children or pregnant or breast-feeding women.

You also need to indicate the caffeine content in mg/100ml.

For food products there isn't a threshold in the same way, if the caffeine is added "with a physiological purpose". Under these circumstances you'd need to include the same as above (although indicating the content as m/g/100g rather than per 100ml, if it's a solid foodstuff).

Additionally even if it's not above the threshold and/or not added for a physiological purpose, you may still need to indicate the presence (but not necessarily the amount) if it is used as a flavouring.

See 4.1/4.2 of Annex III and Part D(3) of Annex VII of Regulation (EU) 1169/2011 for reference.

Similar Discussion Topics
Labelling af flavor in the US Can anyone recommend or suggest alternative options to Genesis R&D Food Labelling Software? Sales samples labelling Potassium salt labelling Food allergen labelling and information requirements technical guidance FDA Labelling Requirements for non consumers packages Storage Instructions on Labelling May Contain Tree Nuts - Plain English Allergen Labelling Labelling Verification Plan UK over-labelling requirements