What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Can anyone provide feedback on what is considered a "small batch" in the food industry?

Started by , Mar 10 2020 01:38 PM
3 Replies

Hello,

Can anyone provide feedback on what is considered a "small batch" in the food industry? I can't seem to find any regulations around that term, much of what's out there applies to the liquor industry.

Thanks in advance!   :happydance:

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Food safety culture Food Safety Additionally requirements Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Example of How to Assess Your Food Safety Culture
[Ad]

Is there a specific context to the question?
I know of sites for whom a 1kg batch isn't unheard of, and others who'd be disappointed to run less than 50000kg in one batch. It's entirely dependent on the nature of the site/product.

1 Thank

The term small means?

And that is why it will not be in a regulation manual.

Small means so many things and so few depending.

I once had an owner of a food company try to explain to me that the production line was not dirty - he said it was only a "small" amount of dirt in the big picture.

I love when food companies say they make stuff in small batches -

Was in a caramel popcorn company one day and they did in fact make it in small batches, about 100 lbs of corn at a time each in 100 kettles, so much for "small."

1 Thank

There is no such thing as a "Small Batch" regulatory wise because the term isn't something that is quantifiable outside of your organization.  If a normal batch is 250lbs a small batch could be anything less.  This is something that, if your organization uses as a term, you will need to define inside of your own system.

Have a good day,

Mr. I

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Food safety culture Food Safety Additionally requirements Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Example of How to Assess Your Food Safety Culture Accommodations for Medication & Food How would you rate the food safety culture in your workplace? Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Repackaging of Food Grade product As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ?