What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Can someone clarify if a trade name can be considered as a claim?

Started by , Mar 13 2020 04:32 AM
5 Replies
Hi,
Can someone give me a clarity If a trade name can be considered as a claim ?
If yes, can you please provide me with some reference as per FDA.
I have found the reference for the product name to be considered as a claim. Is it the same for brand name ?

Sent from my motorola one power using Tapatalk
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Can an undetected test piece be considered a physical hazard in a metal detection process? Do we need to provide evidence in specifications to claim products are genetically modified? Sedex Members Ethical Trade Audit (SMETA) Are all biological hazards considered castatrophic in terms of severity? BRCGS Food Safety 5.4.5 - Regarding Gluten Free Claim
[Ad]

Hi,
Can someone give me a clarity If a trade name can be considered as a claim ?
If yes, can you please provide me with some reference as per FDA.
I have found the reference for the product name to be considered as a claim. Is it the same for brand name ?

Hi kick,

You may need to be more "specific".

I want to know if trade names like sleep right, sleep water, dream water as a brand name will be considered as a claim or not ?

Can above mentioned brand sell their product as conventional food. Is there any risk involved ?

These are the kinds of names that would raise red flags with FDA, especially if your marketing messages - whether on the package or on a website- imply that your products are providing a remedy for sleep disorders.
1 Like
I got the clarity. This would not be any issue until the context is clear. So, they have to add a disclaimer statement stating this is just a brand name and does not represent the true nature of the product.

Hi,

I can only answer for Europe - these kind of names can be a health claims. For some names of products and/or companies there is/was an exemption for some years if the names were in use before a certain date.

But this is what the EU has regulated.

Rgds

moskito

Similar Discussion Topics
Can an undetected test piece be considered a physical hazard in a metal detection process? Do we need to provide evidence in specifications to claim products are genetically modified? Sedex Members Ethical Trade Audit (SMETA) Are all biological hazards considered castatrophic in terms of severity? BRCGS Food Safety 5.4.5 - Regarding Gluten Free Claim Minimum power of a magnet to be considered compliant with the food safety requirements? Gluten free claim Is anyone aware of a legal or regulatory definition of the food claim term 'simple'? What to do with label stocks with incorrect Net Carb Claim? When is flexible packaging considered recyclable?