What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Requirements for QUAT testing UK/EU

Started by , Mar 20 2020 01:23 PM
1 Reply

Hi all, 

We currently use QUATs as a disinfectant - but I am wondering if we are required to test the food product which comes into contact with in on the food contact surface? 

I know the legislation states it must be 0.1mg/kg max QUATs in a food, but I do wonder as we use it, is it a requirement to test the actual food? 

Or can we just test the chemical to prove it is within the limit? 

This is a dairy product if that makes a difference - Cheese.

Thank you. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
New Metal Detector requirements in the food safety management system Food Specification Requirements for food businesses in the UK? Frozen meals - cooling requirements Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor? Net Weight Requirements for Combination Gift Packaging
[Ad]

I know why you're still using quats, they're great against Listeria!

On product contact though, two things you could do.  You could validate, using a reasonable number of samples that you are not picking up a high level of quats in the food above the MRL.  This is not necessarily going to come back clear.  Cheese as a fatty food absorbs hydrophobic chemicals really well.  I remember getting a positive test on a couple of samples.

So another solution is to stop using quats.  Problem is quats are really good.  So there is a proposed third way.  Keep using quats on your floor and non quats on surfaces.  You can use biguanide based chemicals.  Not quite as good but it works.

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
New Metal Detector requirements in the food safety management system Food Specification Requirements for food businesses in the UK? Frozen meals - cooling requirements Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor? Net Weight Requirements for Combination Gift Packaging Requirements for Work In Process WIP Requirements for packaging SQF Requirements - Pest Control Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Halal requirements for foods imported to GCC