What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

USDA Regulatory Guidance on Thawing time vs temperature.

Started by , Mar 26 2020 04:08 PM
5 Replies

Hello all!

I am hoping to get some guidance on which regulations cover thawing times and temperature.

My company is looking into extending thawing times of 50 lb meat blocks, while keeping the blocks intact instead of chipping for the sake of 100% inspection.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
USDA and pork broth USDA inspected products USDA notification Withdrawals Packaging of pre cook chicken already approved by USDA Validation for USDA
[Ad]

Good afternoon and welcome to the forums Zstubbs22!

1 Like

The USDA is fairly good at getting back on questions you ask.

https://www.fsis.usd...tory-compliance

Another source to try - the agricultural department at your state college university.

1 Like1 Thank

Hello all!

I am hoping to get some guidance on which regulations cover thawing times and temperature.

My company is looking into extending thawing times of 50 lb meat blocks, while keeping the blocks intact instead of chipping for the sake of 100% inspection.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Hi zstubbs,

Does "extending" have any quantitative objective ? I would anticipate extremely long times available at chilled temperatures.

Not sure what "chipping" means.?

IIRC USDA have a specific document(s) detailing thawing meat (eg search the link in Post 3) although I doubt it includes yr specific requirement. The "problem" of thawing  typically revolves around temperature control of course

1 Like1 Thank

Hi zstubbs,

Does "extending" have any quantitative objective ? I would anticipate extremely long times available at chilled temperatures.

Not sure what "chipping" means.?

IIRC USDA have a specific document(s) detailing thawing meat (eg search the link in Post 3) although I doubt it includes yr specific requirement. The "problem" of thawing  typically revolves around temperature control of course

Thank you for your reply! We plan to run a study to see exactly how long it would take to thaw. Temperature would be controlled, just curious as to time at said temperature.

Thank you for your reply! We plan to run a study to see exactly how long it would take to thaw. Temperature would be controlled, just curious as to time at said temperature.

From experience of thawing tons of 7kg blocks of frozen seafood in water at approx 0-10degC, be prepared for a very long night. :smile:

Similar Discussion Topics
USDA and pork broth USDA inspected products USDA notification Withdrawals Packaging of pre cook chicken already approved by USDA Validation for USDA USDA Labeling Evaluation USDA and Duck Hazards Exemption from USDA and FDA Compliance for Labeling of Free Spice Powder Product USDA COA or COCs requirements USDA Permit to ship non-denatured inedible meat byproducts