What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Can someone please explain the difference between a Food Safety Management System and a Quality Management System?

Started by , Mar 31 2020 09:21 PM
3 Replies

Hi all,

Can someone please explain the difference between a Food Safety Management System and a Quality Management System?  How do these two systems differ?  Does one system cover more than the other? This question stems from me comparing GFSI schemes.  I am trying to determine what GFSI schemes are the best for my company to approve based on a supplier approval program.  I know SQF is no longer using levels, but has a quality audit and food safety audit that is separate and schemes like BRC and IFS 6.1 have quality systems included.

Thanks in advance.

Mbrown

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? FSSC v6 equipment management purchase specification
[Ad]
Quality and Food Safety are totally different disciplines that are often managed by the same team (QA). It is very important we understand the differences and similarities in the two. To simplify the two, I like to refer to a Quality System as requirements associated with customer satisfaction. A Food Safety System addresses requirements associated with health, regulatory and legality. Quality requirements can be negotiable and often times can be adjusted frequently whereas Food Safety requirements a absolute and require significant validation studies to make changes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
3 Likes1 Thank

Hi all,

Can someone please explain the difference between a Food Safety Management System (Former) and a Quality Management System (Latter)?  How do these two systems differ?  Does one system cover more than the other? This question stems from me comparing GFSI schemes.  I am trying to determine what GFSI schemes are the best for my company to approve based on a supplier approval program.  I know SQF is no longer using levels, but has a quality audit and food safety audit that is separate and schemes like BRC and IFS 6.1 have quality systems included.

Thanks in advance.

Mbrown

A simple self-question should enable a decision -

Do you want to cover Non-Safety + Safety aspects ( > Both), or Only Non-Safety (> Former), or only Safety (> Latter) ?

1 Thank

Food Safety - controlling contamination that could cause sickness or injury.

Quailty Management - controlling your processes and products so they meet customer requirements.

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? FSSC v6 equipment management purchase specification As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? Automatic Labeling System HACCP certification for SQG Ed 9.0 - System Element 2.1.1.5 Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES)