What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Does anyone know what shelf-life is usually given to frozen fish (red drum)?

Started by , Apr 20 2020 09:37 AM
6 Replies

Hi,

we are processing frozen tuna and we gave a shelf-life of 24 months to the products since the tuna are frozen on the fishing vessel immediately.

And now we are starting the processing of fresh fish into frozen fish fillets. these are aqua cultured fish which are kept in chilled conditions before they are brought to the factory.

Does anyone know what shelf-life is usually given to frozen fish (red drum)? i do not have enough time to carry out the shelf-life over 1 year or more to see if the product will still be good after the prescribed shelf-life.

Thank you,

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations Shelf Life of Primary Packaging Checking frozen incoming material using digital probe thermometer Frozen meals - cooling requirements Cause of condensation in shelf stable dressing cup
[Ad]

I have a seafood company (client) and across the board the shelf-life for frozen (including red drum) is 1 year.

1 Like1 Thank

You can give a year but you need to start a shelf life trial asap and ensure that your process and storage conditions allow this length of shelf life.

I would also get a reference for the 1 year to have as evidence that I didn't pluck that time-frame out of the ether.

Attached is the reference I used for Frozen Salmon until I had completed the shelf life trial. I now have 2 years on Frozen salmon.

Not unlike an oak tree, the best time to do a shelf life is when you're doing the product development and the second best time is now.

It depends as to how the product is stored/packed/glazed (or not).

No experience with tuna but various other fish/seafood 2 years commonly requested IMEX albeit undoubtedly optimistic in some cases, especially if IQF.

@ Trubert - attachment got lost somewhere.

I found this link - might be useful to quote if you are asked why you have allocated 12 months?...

http://www.fao.org/3... of frozen fish

1 Thank
 I am a seafood company engaged in e-commerce. We are involved in fresh and frozen products, mainly lobster, crab, fish, shellfish. Now many consumers are not very familiar with seafood. I hope to gain more knowledge of seafood.
 THANK YOU 

I found this link - might be useful to quote if you are asked why you have allocated 12 months?...

http://www.fao.org/3... of frozen fish

Hi Lesley,

Thanks link.

Torry's many informative Notes contain a wealth of expert knowledge.

However, I conclude that the criterion in their (Quoted) Table Limits for "Good"  was virtually  "perfection" since the times given for, say, a reference storage temperature of 0degF (-18degC) would IMO be simply unusable for commercial labelling.

Similar Discussion Topics
Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations Shelf Life of Primary Packaging Checking frozen incoming material using digital probe thermometer Frozen meals - cooling requirements Cause of condensation in shelf stable dressing cup COOL - Substantial Transformation of fish (USA) Validated Monitoring Procedure for Frozen Meat Products. Small manufacturer frozen ready meal process steps Customer labeling of frozen pizza Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing