What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Where might one find proper data loggers to validate a Kill Step in snack foods?

Started by , Apr 21 2020 08:21 PM
7 Replies

Hi All, 

Where might one find proper data loggers to validate a Kill Step? We have revolving rack ovens so we need something wireless or something that can be placed in the oven.

We make brownies, the minimum temp we take anything out of the oven is 180°F. 

I know we need to validate that this is effective for killing bacteria, but I'm not completely sure how to validate the process. 

Any pointers on how to do this properly? I have the AIB baking process kill step document and instructions. 

Thank you!

~Polly 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Can anyone share the FDA reference that pathogen microbes kill at above 100 degree celcius? Tips and tricks or easier ways to create Safety Data Sheets Adding Pet Friendly Foods to Scope AIB Kill Step Calculator Data logger monitoring
[Ad]

Have found Thermoworks to be a good source.

Hi Polly,

We also make brownies and other baked goods in rotating rack ovens, we have found the i button to validate time and temp.  It looks like a watch battery and you bake it in the product.  It can be set to record the temperature every so many seconds or minutes, what ever you wish.  When the product is done you fish it out and place it in the device that comes with it and download the information.  We have used it for several of our products and it works well.  You then have the information of how long it was at the proper temps to kill whatever you are validating.

Let me know if you would like more information, I am happy to help!

Kim 

1 Like

I have found multiple units made by Omega to be very useful - the entire unit can be placed in ovens. - Make sure to research high temperature data loggers that are easily linked with a docking station or a USB. Some companies will charge extra for the software / docking station. Another brand is LASCAR electronics - Easylog thermocouples

Hope this helps

Hi Polly,

We also make brownies and other baked goods in rotating rack ovens, we have found the i button to validate time and temp.  It looks like a watch battery and you bake it in the product.  It can be set to record the temperature every so many seconds or minutes, what ever you wish.  When the product is done you fish it out and place it in the device that comes with it and download the information.  We have used it for several of our products and it works well.  You then have the information of how long it was at the proper temps to kill whatever you are validating.

Let me know if you would like more information, I am happy to help!

Kim 

These look great! We are definitely looking into this. Thank you!

~Polly 

Hi Polly - oh yes - I forgot Scigiene has a huge selection of wireless data loggers - you will need a wireless sytem that can penetrate walls - but the information is easily retrieved as the data is continually down loaded to a computer.

Ask Doug Wright - he is great at developing systems for wireless monitoring.

Cheers

Toni

Hey Kimjeffery, 

One of our brownie slabs is about 18x15'. We put 60 slabs on a rack and put the rack in the oven. We've been able to identify the coldest slab on the rack through previous observations. How many buttons would you use in one brownie to get the proper data for a kill step? 

Thanks!

~Polly 

Hi Polly,

It sounds like our process is very similar to yours.  I know that the coldest items on the rack are always in the middle so I place one ibutton in the middle of the brownie in the middle of the rack.  This is always the last to bake to temp so if we get information from the coldest part that validates temps high enough to kill pathogens then the rest of the rack should be fine.  We also do this in every oven since each one bakes slightly different.

I hope this helps!

Kim Jeffery

Similar Discussion Topics
Can anyone share the FDA reference that pathogen microbes kill at above 100 degree celcius? Tips and tricks or easier ways to create Safety Data Sheets Adding Pet Friendly Foods to Scope AIB Kill Step Calculator Data logger monitoring Halal requirements for foods imported to GCC VACCP vulnerability assessment for spice mixes and snack pellets Does anyone use a specialized software to input data from lab tests? Trying to find a food safe knife for opening bags Is it true that the final step to control a significant hazard shall be a CCP?