What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Do staff facilities cleaning chemicals have to be food grade?

Started by , May 21 2020 12:21 PM
5 Replies

Hello everyone, 

Th production manager has just asked me the following question:

'do the cleaning chemicals used in the staff facilities areas have to be food safe?'

I said no, as long as there is an element of control over the cleaning chemicals to ensure prevention from being taken into the production areas and used. (obviously the staff wouldn't because they know but we have to play devils advocate)

Can anyone shed some light on this?

for example can we use fairy liquid to wash plates in the staff room?

TIA

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ?
[Ad]

Are you 100% sure those chemicals wouldn't be taken to production? I would exclude this possibility by using only food-grade cleaning chemicals in all facilities. Ideally, the same ones if possible. 

You're absolutely correct and on the right track.  A suggestion also might be to use color coded stickers for chemicals  - designate food safe chemicals, non food safe chemicals that are allowed in production areas, and non-food safe chemicals that cannot be brought into production areas. 

Fairy liquid - I had to look that one up!

2 Likes

Yup correct. But make sure you properly manage them NOT entering production. They should always be properly labeled, sealed and locked in an area that only authorized people have access to. 

I mean the fairy liquid is already main purpose is to wash dishes with anyway, so I don't see a problem?

Hello everyone, 

Th production manager has just asked me the following question:

'do the cleaning chemicals used in the staff facilities areas have to be food safe?'

I said no, as long as there is an element of control over the cleaning chemicals to ensure prevention from being taken into the production areas and used. (obviously the staff wouldn't because they know but we have to play devils advocate)

Can anyone shed some light on this?

for example can we use fairy liquid to wash plates in the staff room?

TIA

Generally speaking I agree with  you - however the only question I have is on "the element of control" - in general we have all "chemical cleaners" (including Dawn which is slightly less irriatating than Fairy Liquid Dish Soap) in dispensers that are wall mounted and other non-production chemicals via RTD mini hoses that come from wall mounted systems, thus eliminating the possibilty of a chemical crossing over into production by a well meaning employee that just grabbed a bottle of something and controls in place to secure chemicals when not in use for the employee lunch-room, bathrooms, etc.

I was fortunate to have worked for a company that manufactured and distributed sanitiation chemicals and dispensing equipment. I got to do training and audits at various facilities and first hand knowledge of well meaning employees using chemicals that came from the lunch room or office for instance happened all the time. I remember showing a bottle of sanitizer that was intended for bathroom equipment to an employee and saying "do you see a picture of hobart mixed on the label?" to which he said no - (he had gradded it from the lunchroom and was using it to clean a mixer in a bakery) there is a lot of training needed to ensure cross over never happens, becuase it is normally something that is done (not with ill intent) as a quik fix and well meaning, but can cause drastic consequences.

1 Like1 Thank

Hi Zoe,

Just as a general comment, does the fairy liquid come from an "approved supplier" ?. My guess is the local supermarket.

As per previous Posts, it's just a question of segregation/control.  Some of the labelled chemicals as  commonly utilized in bathrooms are certainly best avoided from food proximity !!

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Zone 1,2,3 Limits in various facilities Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Food Safety Videos- Recommendations? Food safety culture plan