What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Seeking advice on producer claims on labels

Started by , May 21 2020 03:13 PM
13 Replies

Good afternoon all, 

Apologies if I'm duplicating a topic but I couldn't find any that would help with my question.

Considering my premises as company A and our customer B I have the following question.  

We're producing for B and using their brand and name. They want the labels to state produced by B. 

I believe that by saying that the products are produced by B would be misleading to the consumer as they are not the manufacturer of the product, not even sure of by doing this we would be doing something illegal.

My advice was to have produced in the UK for B... but this was not accepted. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Kind regards

Egas 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Managing Customer Audit Dates: Seeking Advice on Rescheduling for Convenience Seeking advice, employer making questionable, inappropriate, and possibly illegal decisions and actions Seeking Advice on Transitioning to a Consulting Role Seeking advice transitioning our HACCP plan into an SQF program Seeking Guidance on Lead Food Auditor Training and Internal Food Auditor Training
[Ad]

It could say "Distributed By" B or Packed/Produced For" B - but it can not say it was produced by B, because of the issues B and A would find themselves in due to recall, etc.

Years back when working as a 3rd party auditor we had a supermarket chain in the states that might have had something like 700 products private labeled by contract manufacturers - the labels were re

1 Like1 Thank

Hi Glenn, 

Thank you very much for your reply. 

I did suggest to say produced for "B" or produced in the UK for "B" but they didn't accept this. They want to state that they are the producers when they're not. 

Does intentional mis-labelling fall within Fraud ?

2 Likes

Does intentional mis-labelling fall within Fraud ?

I believe it does and I tried to say that in a very polite way. :-)

I believe it does and I tried to say that in a very polite way. :-)

Don't be polite about it. Sad, but when these terms start getting thrown around (with code/regulation references if needed), it's amazing how fast they change their tunes.

1 Like1 Thank

I agree with MsMars, don't be polite - just tell them NO because it can result in severe monetary damages to them and to your company as well.

1 Like
I did :-)
We’re not doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 Like

I believe that by saying that the products are produced by B would be misleading to the consumer as they are not the manufacturer of the product, not even sure of by doing this we would be doing something illegal.

EC 178/2002

Article 16

Presentation

Without prejudice to more specific provisions of food law, the labelling, advertising and presentation of food or feed, including their shape, appearance or packaging, the packaging materials used, the manner in which they are arranged and the setting in which they are displayed, and the information which is made available about them through whatever medium, shall not mislead consumers.

https://eur-lex.euro...02R0178&from=EN

EC 1169/2011

Article 7Fair information practices1. Food information shall not be misleading, particularly:(a) as to the characteristics of the food and, in particular, as to its nature, identity, properties, composition, quantity, dura­bility, country of origin or place of provenance, method of manufacture or production;

https://eur-lex.euro...018:0063:EN:PDF

1 Like
Zanorias

Thank you very much.

I did share that :-) however, the answer was that in that bit of the regulation it is not mentioned “manufactured by”.

We have said no anyway.

Thank you everyone for your help.

There are ways to avoid the "produced for" element, if they're that fussy about it (although I don't know why they would be - an enormous proportion of brands and most retail own-label is made by someone else and quite clearly labelled in this way...), whilst still avoiding misleading the customer.

For example, the requirement of Article 9(1)(h) could easily be satisfied with one of those awful faux-friendly "why not talk to us at <address> / <Twitter> / <Faceache> etc" or similar, fully satisfying the regulatory requirement to identify the food business operator whilst avoiding telling anyone the brand owner didn't actually lovingly make it in their own kitchen ;)

1 Like
pHruit

True, but unfortunately they wanted to have stated that the product was produced bu them and did not accept the other options e.g manufactured for nor made in for..

:-)

pHruit

True, but unfortunately they wanted to have stated that the product was produced bu them and did not accept the other options e.g manufactured for nor made in for..

:-)

Fair enough. It's fun dealing with brand owners, isn't it? :ejut:

Yep.. especially when they have no clue about food safety regulations nor labeling regulations and believe they can have whatever they want on the labels. :-)

Similar Discussion Topics
Managing Customer Audit Dates: Seeking Advice on Rescheduling for Convenience Seeking advice, employer making questionable, inappropriate, and possibly illegal decisions and actions Seeking Advice on Transitioning to a Consulting Role Seeking advice transitioning our HACCP plan into an SQF program Seeking Guidance on Lead Food Auditor Training and Internal Food Auditor Training Seeking US based FDA recognized LACF process authority? Bag opening: Seeking alternatives to knives. Seeking pest frequency risk assessment template Seeking a company that completes magnet pull strength tests on the east coast? Seeking information on setting up a cola carbonated drink factory