What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to account for product losses in traceability?

Started by , Jun 04 2020 06:45 PM
5 Replies

We are a dry blending company and have about 1-2% product loss when batching (pulling) ingredients. How can I account for this in my trace?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product Is there a minimum PPM of nitrites necessary to deem a product food safe when curing meats? Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor? How would I verify my HACCP Plan for new product? FDA Traceability Rule: Impact and Compliance
[Ad]

Weigh up your floor sweepings and such, and build in a small amount of predicted waste into your production builds.

We have them built in the production builds and the accounting system pulls it out of inventory but if it is really not "loss" then over inventory is incorrect?

You can write it up as "waste."

Just ensure that you document on a batch/load/processing day the amount of waste that occurs and keep those records --- cause during an audit when the Auditor asks how you determined 2% waste you can pull your records out and you'll be covered.

2 Thanks

You can write it up as "waste."

Just ensure that you document on a batch/load/processing day the amount of waste that occurs and keep those records --- cause during an audit when the Auditor asks how you determined 2% waste you can pull your records out and you'll be covered.

This is the easiest and simplest way to account for loss. Thank you.

If you are weighing your finished packaged product and you know the weights of all material inputs you can conduct a study to verify the amount of actual waste.  As Glenn said, record it and keep those records.  It is always good practice to check it on a certain frequency to make sure nothing has changed.  Most food companies monitor "scrap" which this would fall into I presume.  An uptick in scrap should send a notice to re-evaluate the process and determine if actual yields have changed.

Use this scrap factor, or yield as part of your recall to balance.  If your scrap is 1.5% you should be able to recover 98.5% of finished product to material inputs during your traceability.

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product Is there a minimum PPM of nitrites necessary to deem a product food safe when curing meats? Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor? How would I verify my HACCP Plan for new product? FDA Traceability Rule: Impact and Compliance FDA Traceability Rule: Impact and Compliance FDA Traceability Rule: Impact and Compliance Food Traceability Part 204 BRCGS Finished Goods Traceability Foreign Material Handling for product with meat filling