What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

If I combine 2 pasteurized foods to make a new "food", do I need to repasteurize the new combination?

Started by , Jun 07 2020 05:26 PM
9 Replies

If I combine 2 pasteurized foods to make a new "food", do I need to repasteurize the new combination? If it matters, this is for the state of MA.

Thank you in advance if anyone can answer this.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Food safety culture Food Safety Additionally requirements Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Example of How to Assess Your Food Safety Culture
[Ad]

First of all, welcome to IFSQN!

The answer is NO based on the info that was told to me by a dairy QA.

Thank you very much. 

If I combine 2 pasteurized foods to make a new "food", do I need to repasteurize the new combination? If it matters, this is for the state of MA.

Thank you in advance if anyone can answer this.

I would imagine it depends on assurance (ie risk assessment/validation) of lack of contamination during "combination" ?

The real answer...it depends.

1. Type of ingredients you are mixing.
  2. Equipment you are mixing with.
  3. Packaging / labeling and distribution.

Does it require refrigeration?  Are you under jurisdiction of the FDA Dairy Branch, required to meet Pasteurized Milk Ordinance standard?  Is the product a "Grade A" dairy product?

The real answer...it depends.

1. Type of ingredients you are mixing.
  2. Equipment you are mixing with.
  3. Packaging / labeling and distribution.

Does it require refrigeration?  Are you under jurisdiction of the FDA Dairy Branch, required to meet Pasteurized Milk Ordinance standard?  Is the product a "Grade A" dairy product?

Crystal Ball also required.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. Very appreciated. Does anyone know of a website where a can email someone in Massachusetts do get definite answers. A friend of mine makes a great blue cheese dip and we keep telling him that he should make it and sell it but he has alot of questions regarding the process and I want to try to help him get it going if possible.

Again Thanks in advance.

I'd start with the local, county, health department.  Many states have differing, more lenient regulations, around "cottage" industry foods.  But, as I said before...it depends.

Do you have an option of combining the two food items and then pasteurizing the combination?

Yes its possible, at this point I'm just trying to find out what the right move is. I seem to find a lot of, your probably ok without pasteurizing, but that doesn't help. Don't need to run into problems after the fact. Thanks

Similar Discussion Topics
Food safety culture Food Safety Additionally requirements Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Example of How to Assess Your Food Safety Culture Accommodations for Medication & Food How would you rate the food safety culture in your workplace? Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Repackaging of Food Grade product As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ?