What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Can we have animal feed in a food manufacturer?

Started by , Jun 17 2020 02:41 PM
7 Replies

Hello everyone!

So my company does Human food (herbs, spices, candies...etc)

They want to repack Canary seeds (adding a disclosure "not for human consumption") so it is Animal feed technically. 

The question: CAN WE? Can we have animal feed in a Human food facility?

I remember working at a bakery that did Dog treats....

I am not sure. The previous manager before me said no not allowed because it is animal food and not human and should not be done here and I see why.

Anyone guide me on it from a regulatory standpoint?

We are SQF. 

Thanks!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ?
[Ad]

I am seeing that Canary seeds can be used for human consumption but in the past people have fallen ill from eating them so I believe that is why they will be disclosed as not for human consumption. 

You can do that - but need to open up another food sector category, adding to your scope, etc.

Having been in a number of dog food, bird food, etc factories there will be a bit of preventative messures for sam, ec, etc./ cross contamination.

Your CB may require an on-site inspection and review of document changes and additionals.

1 Thank

Yes, absolutely. I do it now. What you need to focus on is contamination of one from the other. And that is going to vary by products.

I'm lucky in that our FCC grade is produced exactly like the feed grade, so the chance one can contaminate the other is extremely low (we still run the products in order of USP, FCC, Feed just because all the earlier in a run the more 'pure' it is).

1 Thank

You can do that - but need to open up another food sector category, adding to your scope, etc.

Having been in a number of dog food, bird food, etc factories there will be a bit of preventative messures for sam, ec, etc./ cross contamination.

Your CB may require an on-site inspection and review of document changes and additionals.

Besides adding an additional category, that's it I suppose? 

Of-course other additional methods of Preventive controls and adding it to my HACCP plan.

Does anyone have a document showing it is allowed to be used with human food to show senior management? Like regulatory or something

I don't think there is an actual "you can store them in the same facility" statement but it sets a precedent discussing how manufacturers who are already following FSMA for human food have options. https://www.fda.gov/...ols-animal-food

You will also need to have a PCQI for animal food, as per FSMA regulations (the animal food regulations also address hazards such as excessive levels of different nutrients that impact the health of the target animal consumer). You can use the same human food sanitation controls for your canary seed operation, or if you have sufficient segregation you can apply the animal food sanitation controls to that area.

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Food Safety Videos- Recommendations? Food safety culture plan Food contact surfaces