What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Off-Flavor development on Butter Toffee Almonds

Started by , Jul 06 2020 03:11 PM
2 Replies

I'm looking for some insight into an issue i'm dealing with at a Ready-to-Eat snack food company.

My company manufactures various candied nuts and one item seems to struggle to maintain it's quality over time. We heat ingredients in a copper panner, dump and cool the mixture on a table, bulk pack and re-pack into retail size containers shortly after. We have put the product through our stability program various times and have had "good" product into the 8-10 month range, but at times the product develops off-flavors and almost a rancid taste after only 3-4 months of being packaged. This item is offered through our "free from" program so the addition of any preservatives isn't an option. We've looked at seasonal changes in climate and almonds coming in and have had no luck, we've played with the ratios on the ingredients and have had no luck. Each batch of product follows a documented procedure and no variance in process has been noted.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Help with Process Development for Dressings, Sauce, Dips Plant Labelling af flavor in the US Naming - everything bagel as a flavor Allergens control in research and development Research and development in food industry
[Ad]

I have a company that grows almonds and another one that chocolate coats them.

There have been issues with stability in how and at what temp they are stored, how and at what temperature they are transported and of course how and at what temperature they are stored at in the manufacturing facility prior to use - have you tracked back all the way to the grower as of yet and also checked to see if packaging that you are using could be causing the issue. We had a problem with a plastic container that fumed off and it imparted a plastic taste into almonds.

1 Thank

Does the off-flavor occur only in the combination of almonds/butter or with other fats too?

Rgds

moskito

Similar Discussion Topics
Help with Process Development for Dressings, Sauce, Dips Plant Labelling af flavor in the US Naming - everything bagel as a flavor Allergens control in research and development Research and development in food industry Butter getting wet during shipment BRC Issue 9 Clause 1.1.2 - Clear plan for the development Source of Natural Flavor - always proprietary information? FSSC 22000 v5.1 Additional Requirements - 2.5.13. Product Development BRCGS clause 5.1 Product Design and Development