What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What controls are adequate for sporeformers like C. Bot. & Bacillus Cereus in fruit and cream pies?

Started by , Jul 13 2020 02:22 PM
6 Replies

Hi there everyone,

I work with fruit pies and cream pies. I came into the job and no HARPC Hazard Analysis had been done.

What controls are adequate for sporeformers like C. Bot. & Bacillus Cereus? We have a baking step for the fruit pies but we don't reach a temperature high enough to destroy spores. The cream pies don't have a final kill step even though the filling and the crust are cooked separately. 

Any suggestions or advice on how to handle this on my hazard analysis. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Should you list your preventative controls on your HACCP process flow chart? Ice cream standard Supply Chain Preventive Controls EU legislation for ice cream Working on Bacillus testing
[Ad]

Hi there everyone,

I work with fruit pies and cream pies. I came into the job and no HARPC Hazard Analysis had been done.

What controls are adequate for sporeformers like C. Bot. & Bacillus Cereus? We have a baking step for the fruit pies but we don't reach a temperature high enough to destroy spores. The cream pies don't have a final kill step even though the filling and the crust are cooked separately. 

Any suggestions or advice on how to handle this on my hazard analysis. 

Hi jessica,

The 2 standard harpc resources are attached below. (Ist one esp. for baking info + typical hazards, 2nd one has detailed model  harpc hazard analysis)

Draft Guidance for Industry-FDA hazard analysis,risk-based preventive controls, 01-17-2018-2.pdf   2.17MB   29 downloads

FSPCA Preventive Controls,2016.pdf   20.75MB   34 downloads

Offhand -

sporeformer like Bacillus, controls - raw mat. spec./ post-baking time -temp. control / hygiene.

cream has other problems (eg see below) ?

These 3 random, non-harpc, threads (amongst many) may be of interest -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ccp-validation/

https://www.ifsqn.co...with-cream-usa/

https://www.ifsqn.co...n-lot-possible/

PS - there are a few other harpc presentations on this forum but, IIRC, none unfortunately for cream pies.

1 Like1 Thank

Thanks Charles. I will check out those resources

While I don't know about fruit and cream pies, our LACF cheese sauces control sporeformers through formulation control (moisture, pH, and salt) per our process authority and the FDA process filings.  I imagine it would be something similar for your pies.

1 Like1 Thank

While I don't know about fruit and cream pies, our LACF cheese sauces control sporeformers through formulation control (moisture, pH, and salt) per our process authority and the FDA process filings.  I imagine it would be something similar for your pies.

That's what I settled on doing for our fruit pies. How did you document that in your hazard analysis and Food Safety Plan if you don't mind me asking. I wasn't sure if it was considered a process control or not

Thanks Charles. I will check out those resources

Apologies that my first attachment did not include the critical section - Appendix1. Added below.

Draft-Guidance-for-Industry--Hazard-Analysis-and-Risk-Based-Preventive-Controls-for-Human-Food---Potential-Hazards-for-Foods-and-Processes-(Appendix-1).pdf   1.9MB   29 downloads

(1st 3 columns in Tables appear to be relevant)

Spore control is generally considered in 1st attachment, Pgs 124-128. Includes methods such as noted above.

The usual preventative options afaik involve (a) control veg. pathogen level in raw material (used IIRC for B.cereus in-wheat > flour > pastry), (b) control relevant pathogen in specific process step, eg C.botulinum, B.cereus, C.perfringens.

I guess the (b) question is - (i)  Is the relevant (spore) pathogen/hazard  in fruit/cream/pastry pie same/equivalent to that in cheese sauce ? (ii) is hazard in (i) significant ? (iii) if (ii) is yes, is the cheese sauce control method implementable ?.(iv) if (iii) is No, what other options ?

That's what I settled on doing for our fruit pies. How did you document that in your hazard analysis and Food Safety Plan if you don't mind me asking. I wasn't sure if it was considered a process control or not

Hi Jessica,

I documented it as a Process Control in our Food Safety Plan.  Just listed it as Process Control - Formulation (pH, salt, moisture).  

Similar Discussion Topics
Should you list your preventative controls on your HACCP process flow chart? Ice cream standard Supply Chain Preventive Controls EU legislation for ice cream Working on Bacillus testing Acceptable Yeast and Mold limits for Fruit Fillings Preparing for on site Bacillus testing SQF Addendum - FDA Preventive Controls Audit Checklist Screen for syrups with pulp and fruit pieces Limits for sulfite reducing anaerobe sporeformers