What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Food safety and regulatory requirements for cream cheese manufacturing?

Started by , Jul 14 2020 07:07 PM
15 Replies

My company is producing frozen deserts and savory products. We want to start producing our own cream cheese as ingredient for a savory sku and I am confused of what food safety and regulatory requirements surrounds this added process. All other raw materials or ingredients are bought from our approved suppliers and only the cream cheese that we will like to process by ourselves.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Food Safety, RTE Products, Risk Assessments, and Laboratory Testing Inquiry about food safety culture elements Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement?
[Ad]

As it's a dairy product, you need to comply with Dairy Product Regulation and Food & Drug Act and Regulations Canada on top of other current programs you have. CFIA used to have DEIM (Dairy Establishment Inspection Manual), but now it's just a reference document, since SFCR was issued. As cream cheese is standardized product, you'll need to comply with the standard as well (refer to the above mentioned Regulatory documents) in terms of Fat, Moisture, etc. If you're testing your finished products for micro, don't test cream cheese for TPC as it's useless due to bacterial cultures load. Main bacteria you should concentrate on are Total Coliform, E. Coli and Y&M, and you may test for Listeria m. as well. You'll need to enhance your sanitation and corresponding environment monitoring programs (e.g. equipment, water, air, etc.) as cream cheese is sensitive to micro (but, of course, if it's going through the kill step when added to your finished product, that would reduce the risk of contamination). I don't know your process of making cream cheese - otherwise, I would go further:)

As olenazh has eluded to there is A LOT involved on the regulatory side for cream cheese production.  I'm more familiar with US regulations around dairy, but Canada is considered equivalent so you will have a rough road ahead to produce cream cheese on your own, even if you do not sell it as "cream cheese".  You still need to follow the same regulatory framework and compliance.

If I were you I would reach out to your local regulatory authority and get some more info.  You may find it is not worthwhile to produce in-house, versus purchasing.  Generally, cream cheese is a low margin product so you may find it is much more costly to produce for yourself than purchase, on top of all the regulatory compliance PITA required.

1 Like

As olenazh has eluded to there is A LOT involved on the regulatory side for cream cheese production.  I'm more familiar with US regulations around dairy, but Canada is considered equivalent so you will have a rough road ahead to produce cream cheese on your own, even if you do not sell it as "cream cheese".  You still need to follow the same regulatory framework and compliance.

If I were you I would reach out to your local regulatory authority and get some more info.  You may find it is not worthwhile to produce in-house, versus purchasing.  Generally, cream cheese is a low margin product so you may find it is much more costly to produce for yourself than purchase, on top of all the regulatory compliance PITA required.

Wow thank you so much.

As it's a dairy product, you need to comply with Dairy Product Regulation and Food & Drug Act and Regulations Canada on top of other current programs you have. CFIA used to have DEIM (Dairy Establishment Inspection Manual), but now it's just a reference document, since SFCR was issued. As cream cheese is standardized product, you'll need to comply with the standard as well (refer to the above mentioned Regulatory documents) in terms of Fat, Moisture, etc. If you're testing your finished products for micro, don't test cream cheese for TPC as it's useless due to bacterial cultures load. Main bacteria you should concentrate on are Total Coliform, E. Coli and Y&M, and you may test for Listeria m. as well. You'll need to enhance your sanitation and corresponding environment monitoring programs (e.g. equipment, water, air, etc.) as cream cheese is sensitive to micro (but, of course, if it's going through the kill step when added to your finished product, that would reduce the risk of contamination). I don't know your process of making cream cheese - otherwise, I would go further:)

This is helpful. Thank you so much.

This is helpful. Thank you so much.

What if we wanted to make but vegan cream cheese with no dairy by product? Do you think it will be better?

Hah! That's interesting: we've recently started making vegan cream cheese coconut-based. This product doesn't require fermentation and is not standardized, so you'll avoid dairy cream cheese-related problems in this case. However, you should think of your process (e.g. formula, volumes, etc.) and related equipment (e.g. pasteurization & homogenization)

Hah! That's interesting: we've recently started making vegan cream cheese coconut-based. This product doesn't require fermentation and is not standardized, so you'll avoid dairy cream cheese-related problems in this case. However, you should think of your process (e.g. formula, volumes, etc.) and related equipment (e.g. pasteurization & homogenization)

Where are you guys located. Are you guys certified under any of the GFSI standard? If yes he we need to talk as it will be better we just buy from your company as we are going this route just because of lack in supply.

Toronto. If you need our phone number, I'll have to speak to the company owners to get confirmation.

1 Thank

Toronto. If you need our phone number, I'll have to speak to the company owners to get confirmation.

That works! we are in Toronto too.

That works! we are in Toronto too.

Lastly, once you talk with him, I will share our spec for the previous supplier so you can review and see whether its same formulation as we will want same formulation in order that we don't change our present packaging.

So, you've already had a supplier of vegan cream cheese?

So, you've already had a supplier of vegan cream cheese?

Yes we did but our volume is high and the plant shutdown during this period hence we are looking for alternative sources or making ours

OK, I've already contacted the owner and will get back to you when receive confirmation from him

Elite Dairy 416-767-4574, Buggy Karkic

OK, I've already contacted the owner and will get back to you when receive confirmation from him

Got it and thank you. Will be contacting him.

Similar Discussion Topics
Food Safety, RTE Products, Risk Assessments, and Laboratory Testing Inquiry about food safety culture elements Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Food Fraud Vulnerability Assessment for Processes Food safety culture Food Safety Additionally requirements Example of How to Assess Your Food Safety Culture Accommodations for Medication & Food