What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to define low risk and high care areas in a cold smoking fish process?

Started by , Jul 22 2020 02:19 PM
4 Replies

Hi everyone,

I opened this thread out of curiosity. In case you are producing cold smoked fish (salmon, trout, white fish or other types), and are BRC certified, i'm curious which process steps you have defined as low risk, and from what process step you have your process defined as high care and the argumentation for that decision?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Packing process for a new beverage Mayonnaise Glass Bottling Plant Process Example of a risk assessment template Should you list your preventative controls on your HACCP process flow chart? Health & Safety Risk Assessment
[Ad]

Hi rdeboer,

reading with interest.  I would be interested to learn as well due to the Listeria risk.  I've seen a few cheese smoking operations in my time and generally the risk status was not well considered but with some attempt to define the post smoking area as high care.  As cold smoked fish is ready to eat, certainly this area should be high care to my mind (it's not going to have undergone a 70oC / 2 min treatment though so not high risk.)  What would be interesting for me is what steps reduce the bacterial loading so at what point does high care start?  I'm guessing it may be a combination of gutting, brining and smoking all having some reduction in micro.  If you explain the process, perhaps we can work it through if an expert doesn't come along?

Hi,

Short: we defined our post cold smoking process as high care. We receive gutted fish that we decapitate, de-bone and skin in our facility. We use dry salting not brine or brine injection. 

1 Thank

Hi,

Short: we defined our post cold smoking process as high care. We receive gutted fish that we decapitate, de-bone and skin in our facility. We use dry salting not brine or brine injection. 

Interesting... The salting though presumably has a significant impact on pathogen survival and growth.  Why not post salting?

Hi everyone,

I opened this thread out of curiosity. In case you are producing cold smoked fish (salmon, trout, white fish or other types), and are BRC certified, i'm curious which process steps you have defined as low risk, and from what process step you have your process defined as high care and the argumentation for that decision?

Some info in below attachments.

BRC Production zone - cold smoked salmon.pdf   2.05MB   29 downloads

(see Pgs 4-6/29)

BRC - cold smoked fish.pdf   44.15KB   18 downloads

BRC6 Appendix - cold smoked salmon.pdf   30.48KB   15 downloads

Analysis Process cold smoked fish - Codex COP Fish.pdf   2.81MB   19 downloads

(see Pgs 140-150)

European Guide for smoked,salted,marinated fish.pdf   2.12MB   19 downloads

Processing-Parameters-for-Control-Pathogens-in-Cold-Smoked-Fish.pdf   941.03KB   22 downloads

FAO,Case Study-L.monocytogenes in Smoked Fish.pdf   394.58KB   13 downloads

L.mono levels in Cold smoked Salmon and Gravlax,2000.pdf   156.5KB   11 downloads

Review smoked fish processes with respect to L.monocytogenes,2012.pdf   2.7MB   15 downloads

Raw,RTE Fish.pdf   146.61KB   15 downloads

Regarding L.monocytogenes, the 6th file above indicates a possible 2log reduction in smoking stage. The detailed review in penultimate file (2012) supports this opinion although historical data tends to be scattered probably in part due to the large variety of process conditions in use.

Above concurs with the conclusion in Post 3 although other possible process stages such as salting, drying are also mentioned in the review as potential co-factors for microbial reduction. Such additions could expand the zonal "high care" area.

PS - Also see this post which offers a similar zonal evaluation as Post 3 -

https://www.ifsqn.co...nes/#entry91193

Similar Discussion Topics
Packing process for a new beverage Mayonnaise Glass Bottling Plant Process Example of a risk assessment template Should you list your preventative controls on your HACCP process flow chart? Health & Safety Risk Assessment Zosi’s Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP) and risk assessment templates Is pulling the cords out from the ear buds a risk to contamination? HACCP plan for chocolate and risk area decision tree Anyone have a template for the V6 Risk Based Plan for Tanker Cleaning risk assessment? BRCGS 8.1.2 - Cooked Crustacea High Risk-High Care