What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

SQF and background checks of temporary employees

Started by , Aug 03 2020 04:14 PM
7 Replies

Hi All, 

I am with an SQF certified facility and we have recently been having a lot of issues with staffing. We use a mix of temporary workers as well as permanent employees. Since we have been having so much trouble getting people to come in we were thinking about not requiring a background check to be completed for the temporary employees. Just wondering if there is anything against doing this in SQF as I have not been able to find anything that speaks directly to it. 

Thank you, 

Chris 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Innovative and effective communication to inform employees about food safety As per SQF are employees allowed to have neckless or anything hanging around their neck? Where can employees wear hairnets? Required Food Safety Training for Employees Under FSSC 22000 Vacuum bags integrity checks
[Ad]

You are correct, nothing specific on background checks.

Most of our clients run them on all employees  -  the better temp agencies will offer them as a part of their packages.

Hi Glenn, 

So you do not see any issues if we temporarily do not require them before an employee starts?

Thank you, 

Chris 

Hi Glenn, 

So you do not see any issues if we temporarily do not require them before an employee starts?

Thank you, 

Chris 

I am sorry, Chris, I miss-understood your question. 

Just because it is not in the SQF manual, doesn't mean that you should not be doing so.

You have to take a look at how not doing this impacts your business, fellow employees and customers.

This is not something I would suspend if I was doing it all along - one client did offer bonuses to current employees when they referred people to be fellow employees and they found it easy to background check people that way.

Hi Chris, just a quick suggestion. Make sure that if you decide to pursue this change, you clear it with whoever handles your insurance (CoL, CoI for facility, etc.). In every facility I've been in recently, the Financial Controller sets the background check requirements and then pushes that through HR. Insurance requirements have been the impetus to those decisions.

Our company also uses temporary labor at a number of our facilities. The agencies we work with are required to do the background checks removing that task from us. Doing back-ground checks on employees that you know are short term was too much cost/time for us to keep it in our responsibilities.

Don't forget that background checks can (should) be part of your food defense plan for the IA Rule (USA)  Inspections for the IA Rule compliance are supposed to be starting in March 2021. 

Hi All, 

Thank you for your responses as this has been very helpful!

Chris 

Similar Discussion Topics
Innovative and effective communication to inform employees about food safety As per SQF are employees allowed to have neckless or anything hanging around their neck? Where can employees wear hairnets? Required Food Safety Training for Employees Under FSSC 22000 Vacuum bags integrity checks How do you handle temporary and seasonal employees? Minimum weight checks before packaging Allergen Label Checks Temperature checks at receiving for ingredients that must be kept cold HACCP Exam for Employees