What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

BRC 8, 5.5.2 - can we use transparent film and packaging or must it be coloured?

Started by , Aug 05 2020 12:54 PM

Good afternoon I have a question regarding this requirement.

My company is a producer of ice cream cones and we want to obtain BRC certification, however the packaging and films we use are transparent. My question is: should we change the color of them?

Are you saying that your finished product will be packed by you into this clear film?
5.5.2 is about control of packaging in relation to ingredients and intermediate production stages, to reduce risk to production itself, and doesn't apply to packaging for finished products. Worth getting hold of a copy of the interpretation guide if you don't yet have one, as this is extremely useful (or outright essential in places) for making sense of some parts of the standard.
This notes that "The requirement applies only to materials purchased by the site and used on site; it doesn't apply to finished product packaging". It does go on to explain that if your final product is a raw material for subsequent processing by someone else then the consideration should be given to liner colour, but I'm guessing that wouldn't apply in your situation?

3 Replies

My company is a producer of ice cream cones and we want to obtain BRC certification, however the packaging and films we use are transparent. My question is: should we change the color of them?
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Environmental Monitoring for a plastics packaging facility Hairnets for a packaging component manufacturing facility HACCP Training for Flexible Packaging Industry OPP Packaging leavening milky residue when in contact with water Shelf Life of Primary Packaging
[Ad]

I know of no requirement for changing to something else.

Are you saying that your finished product will be packed by you into this clear film?
5.5.2 is about control of packaging in relation to ingredients and intermediate production stages, to reduce risk to production itself, and doesn't apply to packaging for finished products. Worth getting hold of a copy of the interpretation guide if you don't yet have one, as this is extremely useful (or outright essential in places) for making sense of some parts of the standard.
This notes that "The requirement applies only to materials purchased by the site and used on site; it doesn't apply to finished product packaging". It does go on to explain that if your final product is a raw material for subsequent processing by someone else then the consideration should be given to liner colour, but I'm guessing that wouldn't apply in your situation?

1 Like1 Thank

Omg thank you so much!

Similar Discussion Topics
Environmental Monitoring for a plastics packaging facility Hairnets for a packaging component manufacturing facility HACCP Training for Flexible Packaging Industry OPP Packaging leavening milky residue when in contact with water Shelf Life of Primary Packaging Net Weight Requirements for Combination Gift Packaging Steamed dumpling packaging Magnets used in plastics packaging processing Food Contact Packaging Letter of Guarantee Example Packaging manufacturing and tape.