What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Can we have a generic Food Safety System to comply with all compliance standards?

Started by , Sep 04 2020 06:18 AM
5 Replies

Hi All,

Is it possible to have a Manual that is generic and not very specific - hi sis only so that it can be compatible with all other Food compliance standards?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? food safety 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention Repackaging of Food Grade product Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement?
[Ad]

It is certainly possible to have a manual to satisfy multiple standards, as I've worked with a few sites that have several GFSI standards in place.
I fear it's perhaps not a case of being "generic" though, but more an approach of careful construction to ensure you're covering all of the various quirks of each of the standards.

Is there a specific context to your query, or just a matter of general curiosity?

It is certainly possible to have a manual to satisfy multiple standards, as I've worked with a few sites that have several GFSI standards in place.
I fear it's perhaps not a case of being "generic" though, but more an approach of careful construction to ensure you're covering all of the various quirks of each of the standards.

Is there a specific context to your query, or just a matter of general curiosity?

Agreed - we have multiple standards to adhere to. Our manual is based around compliance to BRC and then any other requirements from other standards that aren't applicable to BRC are simply an addition to the manual. 

That's right: if you comply with BRC requirements the rest of GFSI schemes would go under "BRC umbrella"

Please bare in mind to remember any other requirements as well, for example, BRC require a trace test to be completed in 4 hours, whereas we have a customer who requires it to be completed in 3 hours. Just ensure everything is covered from all standards / requirements. I wouldn't say the term 'generic', you want a manual that is created around your certification standard requirements and other standards / customer requirements. 

You could technically do it. Look at the standards you have to comply with and compare. When the standards overlap - use the strictest one. Like others have mentioned - I would keep the extra GFSI requirements separate from the government regulations/documents. Don't give the regulators any more than is required.

Similar Discussion Topics
As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? food safety 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention Repackaging of Food Grade product Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Automatic Labeling System HACCP certification for SQG Ed 9.0 - System Element 2.1.1.5 Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Food Safety Videos- Recommendations?