What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Use of Canola oil as a processing aid in cookie type bakery products

Started by , Oct 19 2020 02:42 PM
2 Replies

Hello all,

I am in a new role with a new manufacturer.  We are a bakery who manufacture cookie type products.

I am looking for help or direction regarding the use of canola oil to grease dough buckets to ensure release of the dough into depositors.

Canola oil is also used on the line to grease rollers that are used to compress the dough.

We weigh the oil that we are using to grease the dough buckets used to transport the raw dough from mixer to depositor for traceability.  

Do we need to document this anywhere else?  We have been doing it for years and management is saying we do not have to worry about it as it is a processing aid and is negligible and this is how we have been doing it historically for over twenty years.  

My question is, do we need proof that it is negligible and how do I prove this?

Also,  does it need to be listed on the HACCP plan as a processing aid.  We do not always use oil to grease the buckets nor do we grease every line.

I have gotten myself twisted around and cannot seem to make simple sense of it all and seem to have forgotten everything I have learned to date.

Any advice, direction or guidance would be greatly appreciated.  IF anyone had an example to share that would be most helpful.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

KBMB

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Food Safety, RTE Products, Risk Assessments, and Laboratory Testing Thawing of Cooked meats for RTE products Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility Magnets used in plastics packaging processing Prepackaged Products Consisting of Products Packaged Separately
[Ad]

Look at it as an ingredient.

Generally speaking when I hear that management says not to worry about it - THE RED FLAG GOES UP.

i agree with charles as treating it as an ingredient.  

it is a processing aid, so it should be on the haccp plan ( you could list it as optional ).   it would also be correct to follow other applicable programs (approved supplier, specifications, incoming inspection, etc)

I would not think you need to prove it is negligible.  

Similar Discussion Topics
Food Safety, RTE Products, Risk Assessments, and Laboratory Testing Thawing of Cooked meats for RTE products Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility Magnets used in plastics packaging processing Prepackaged Products Consisting of Products Packaged Separately Consuming Expired Products Are hair nets necessary in an enclosed processing room? Validated Monitoring Procedure for Frozen Meat Products. Customers want to rent our storage to store their products FSSC 22000 Implementation but have non-food Products