What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Trash Compactor Location

Started by , Nov 05 2020 06:18 PM
4 Replies

Our Plant Services/Maintenance department is looking into options for a trash compactor.  Options they were given by our contracted waste disposal company were 1) a compactor that would be attached to one of our dry dock doors or 2) a free-standing compactor that would be placed outside the facility. My initial thoughts on this would be that there is less risk if we were to use a free-standing compactor.  With this option, we would likely have a dedicated forklift for outside use.  If we used one that attached to a dock door, I am worried about pest control and keeping the dock room floors properly cleaned, and the fact that the compactor would be in our shipping/receiving area. Just wondering what other people think about this topic? Also, if we had an outdoor free-standing compactor, would it need to have some sort of canopy over it?  I'm thinking "no" if the compactor is fully enclosed and only open when employees are putting garbage into it. Thanks!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Looking for trash handling solutions What contract and specifications are required for external trash collection contractor? Any suggestions on cleaning a trash compactor? Trying to add Trash to a Process Hazard Analysis 9.9.1.4 - Rule for covering trash?
[Ad]

At my facility, the compactor is attached to the dock. The dock doors are closed to the compactor when not it use. The compactor is at the end of our shipping/receiving area. Dock room floors wouldn't be a problem since the compactor sits outside and not on the dock room floor.

We are a USDA and FDA facility and never had any problems with inspectors. Neither is there a concern from SQF.

At my facility, the compactor is attached to the dock. The dock doors are closed to the compactor when not it use. The compactor is at the end of our shipping/receiving area. Dock room floors wouldn't be a problem since the compactor sits outside and not on the dock room floor.

We are a USDA and FDA facility and never had any problems with inspectors. Neither is there a concern from SQF.

i agree.  I have had the same with no issues.   Make sure the area around and under the compactor is on a cleaning schedule and kept clean.  

Just chiming in, I have also worked in an SQF facility with the compactor outside a dock door. Never ran into issues (did have to give a NC to ops for leaving the door open twice, but that was 2 times in 2 years).

It can be managed.

1 Like

Both locations have their pros and cons.  To me, one of the big negatives on an attached unit is the immediate access to the facility for flies, etc.

Similar Discussion Topics
Looking for trash handling solutions What contract and specifications are required for external trash collection contractor? Any suggestions on cleaning a trash compactor? Trying to add Trash to a Process Hazard Analysis 9.9.1.4 - Rule for covering trash? Storage of food items in trash bag Where to clean trash receptacles?