What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

New FSC Classification for Coffee Roasters?

Started by , Dec 08 2020 04:16 PM
3 Replies

We are a Coffee Roaster, and after looking at SQF 8.0 vs 8.1 vs edition 9, they have made small updates to the Food Sector Categories Descriptions etc. We have since 2014 been under FSC 16, as also referenced in this old thread. Reading now, I believe we are supposed to be in FSC 19. We do not do anything RTD, strictly whole bean and ground coffees from Green, Roasted, Processed, and Packaged. Attention all Coffee Roasters, I believe they have moved us!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Documentation needed to approve green unroasted Coffee supplier RTD Coffee Processing Standards Coffee Sensory Override Mock Recall Exercise: Determining Recall Classification (Metal Contamination) Complaint classification
[Ad]

Hi Tim.

I do have a couple of coffee roasters and they are all 16 and 19 - no rte.

"processing" would fit for what you do. Now, if your coffee is used as an ingredient you would also add 19.

1 Thank

Thanks Glenn.

We actually have never been told by a customer that they intend to use the coffee as an ingredient, so as far as we can tell everyone is filtering and brewing.  

Your clients register for both 16 and 19?  I guess that would cover any doubts I have, and obviously they both cover the same modules so nothing gained nothing lost there.

Let's get nitpicky...

Ed. 8.1 FSC "Description" Column states for #16  "Does not apply to dry beverage ingredients (e.g. tea, coffee).

Ed 8.1 FSC "Example of Products" Column for #16 does not acknowledge tea or coffee.  

Ed 9 FSC "Description" Column states for #16 "Does not apply to dry beverage ingredients (e.g. tea, coffee)

Ed 9 FSC "Example of Products" Column for #16 it specifies "liquid tea and coffee"

If I was starting my SQF program today, I would never consider FSC 16 for our operation.  

Been SQF as a coffee roaster for 3 years as 19. 

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Documentation needed to approve green unroasted Coffee supplier RTD Coffee Processing Standards Coffee Sensory Override Mock Recall Exercise: Determining Recall Classification (Metal Contamination) Complaint classification Food Safety Complaint Classification Cleaning Procedures in Coffee Manufacturing and Packaging Coffee Supplier does not have 3rd party food safety audit Coffee in Hazard Anlaysis Specialty coffee roastery - HACCP elements - complete newbie!