What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Why does vanillin sugar turn pink to brownish red after a year?

Started by , Jan 12 2021 02:03 PM
6 Replies

Hello, I make vanillin sugar (sugar, aromas - vanillin, ethyl vanillin)  - why does it turn pink to brownish red after a year? Br, Solvita.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
HACCP in the sugar industry EU regulations on black spec allowance in sugar BRC annual management review and internal audit running less than a year? Concerns of adding a plastic hang hook on a tea and sugar filter bag Organic Cane Sugar - Foreign Material HELP
[Ad]

Sounds likely to be Maillard reaction causing discolouration of the vanillin - have a read of e.g. https://www.research...try_of_vanillin

1 Thank

How are you storing it?

Heat and light are the enemies of flavors; the discoloration could be due to oxidation.  I've seen orange extract change colors from orange, to yellow, to clear over the period of just a few months of ambient storage in a clear container.  With this color change also comes a change in flavor.  Try storing your vanilla sugar in a cool, dark place.  This doesn't have to mean refrigeration either, it could be storage in amber glass away from sunlight and heat.

1 Thank

Hi,

Storage conditions: Stable temperature (23 degrees C), Relative humidity < 75 %.

Hi,

Storage conditions: Stable temperature (23 degrees C), Relative humidity < 75 %.

What about the storage container?  Is it clear or opaque?

1 Thank

Hi,

Storage - cardboard box.

If cardboard is the primary packaging, then there is no protection from oxidation.  It needs to be in some form of sealed container made of LDPE, HDPE, or glass that does not allow air permeability.

Similar Discussion Topics
HACCP in the sugar industry EU regulations on black spec allowance in sugar BRC annual management review and internal audit running less than a year? Concerns of adding a plastic hang hook on a tea and sugar filter bag Organic Cane Sugar - Foreign Material HELP Haddock Fish - orange/pink in colour - potential causes? Foreign Material from Sugar Vendor How can I turn around a poor Food Safety Culture? Sugar and salt as having no hazards in my Hazard Analysis How many days a year does your site spend on internal audits?