What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Risks From Contamination from Sewage

Started by , Jan 22 2021 08:58 PM
8 Replies

Hello colleagues, we just performed our Crisis management exercise and the scenario that we picked was: "a sewage pipe burst and the sewage flooded into some areas of the facility, including the area where the finished product is open"

Question: what food safety risks may be caused by sewage if it did not come in contact with the product? is there anything air born that I should test for ( in case of real crisis) ? Toxins, chemicals etc? Thank you!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Table for identification and assessment of risks and determination of control measures Freeze Dried Meat Risks Food Safety Risks from Dead Body Risks of non ready to eat product that is not refrigerated Risks of reheating Naan breads before depositing sauce
[Ad]

Um, gross

Now you've got e coli, covid 19 , potentially legionnaires disease 

For example, in sewage, bacterial pathogens such as Salmonella typhimurium, Enterobacter spp. and Streptococcus faecalis can survive for over 100 days before seeing a 1 log10 reduction. 

https://www.waterpat...tence-in-sewage

So you're real risk isn't in it being airborne so much has having it in all of your drains, nooks and crannies,  you'll need to unbolt equipment from the floor to move it....what about people traffic---now it's everywhere!!!

file:///C:/Users/cparsons/Downloads/EPA600-R-18-221%20EXPOSURE%20PATHWAYS%20TO%20HCPS.PDF

https://www.jstor.org/stable/25040474

have fun!

I did my high school co-op at a sewage treatment plant--i cannot emphasize enough how dangerous a scenario this is

seriously-anything touching th floor in and around the area needs decontaminated and legally, I don't think you can have your regular employees do this work as the area is now a bio zone

Also, for E. Coli as it's a fecal contamination indicator 

1 Thank

Um, gross

Now you've got e coli, covid 19 , potentially legionnaires disease 

For example, in sewage, bacterial pathogens such as Salmonella typhimurium, Enterobacter spp. and Streptococcus faecalis can survive for over 100 days before seeing a 1 log10 reduction. 

https://www.waterpat...tence-in-sewage

So you're real risk isn't in it being airborne so much has having it in all of your drains, nooks and crannies,  you'll need to unbolt equipment from the floor to move it....what about people traffic---now it's everywhere!!!

file:///C:/Users/cparsons/Downloads/EPA600-R-18-221%20EXPOSURE%20PATHWAYS%20TO%20HCPS.PDF

https://www.jstor.org/stable/25040474

have fun!

I did my high school co-op at a sewage treatment plant--i cannot emphasize enough how dangerous a scenario this is

seriously-anything touching th floor in and around the area needs decontaminated and legally, I don't think you can have your regular employees do this work as the area is now a bio zone

Thank you so much for the information.

Great to have you here with this kind of experience:)

Also, for E. Coli as it's a fecal contamination indicator 

Thank you!

We avoid using a sewer backup for an exercise for a number of reasons (as noted above.)

We use other things as a situation test and then do forensic documentation on who, what, when, where and why - time it all out, document it and it always flies during audits.

I don't see anyway to plan for deep state false flags, so we are not even touching that CV thing.

I did love what a small bakery in North Carolina did, they planned on a burst fire system pipe that carrier a combo of water and chemical.

It burst, covered everything, everything was dumped, everything was cleaned several times.  that was done easy.

1 Like1 Thank

This feed reminds me of this! 

1 Thank

We avoid using a sewer backup for an exercise for a number of reasons (as noted above.)

We use other things as a situation test and then do forensic documentation on who, what, when, where and why - time it all out, document it and it always flies during audits.

I don't see anyway to plan for deep state false flags, so we are not even touching that CV thing.

I did love what a small bakery in North Carolina did, they planned on a burst fire system pipe that carrier a combo of water and chemical.

It burst, covered everything, everything was dumped, everything was cleaned several times.  that was done easy.

Hi Glenn,

We did the fire exercise last year, just trying to be creative here and not to use the same scenario every year. we are not in a risk of any weather conditions except a heavy snow storm, so it is getting harder to find a relevant scenario

This feed reminds me of this! 

OMG! That's crazy  :rofl2:  :rofl2:

Similar Discussion Topics
Table for identification and assessment of risks and determination of control measures Freeze Dried Meat Risks Food Safety Risks from Dead Body Risks of non ready to eat product that is not refrigerated Risks of reheating Naan breads before depositing sauce Examples of Risks and Opportunities for Clause 4 The risks of food additive E319 Supplier Risks Bakehouse - opening doors, risks of site security, contamination Risks in Drink Packing