What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Under CFIA rules is dextrin considered as sugar?

Started by , Feb 11 2021 02:08 PM
6 Replies

Hi everyone, concerning the new CFIA rules which will be applied in 2021, does anyone know if dextrin (such as tapioca dextrin) is considered as sugar?  Do we need to group them with the sugar group? I know maltodextrin needs to be grouped with the sugars so I'm wondering. Thank you 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
HACCP in the sugar industry CFIA vs FDA Guides US equivalent forms to CFIA Salmonella testing for Candies and Marshmallow as per CFIA and FDA hazard identification EU regulations on black spec allowance in sugar
[Ad]
Sugars-based ingredient

Sugars-based ingredient means, in respect of a prepackaged product,

• (a) an ingredient that is a monosaccharide or disaccharide or a combination of these
  • (b) an ingredient that is a sweetening agent other than one referred to in paragraph (a); and
  • © any other ingredient that contains one or more sugars and that is added to the product as a functional substitute for a sweetening agent [B.01.001(1), FDR]
  • Dextrin is not on this list:
  • https://www.canada.c...sweeteners.html

I believe it would be classified as a starch not a sugar or sweetening agent by CFIA

Dextrins are a group of low-molecular-weight carbohydrates produced by the hydrolysis of starch or glycogen. ... Dextrins can be produced from starch using enzymes like amylases, as during digestion in the human body and during malting and mashing, or by applying dry heat under acidic conditions (pyrolysis or roasting).

Or maybe it really is a sweetening agent

Sugars-based ingredient

Sugars-based ingredient means, in respect of a prepackaged product,

• (a) an ingredient that is a monosaccharide or disaccharide or a combination of these
  • (b) an ingredient that is a sweetening agent other than one referred to in paragraph (a); and
  • (c) any other ingredient that contains one or more sugars and that is added to the product as a functional substitute for a sweetening agent [B.01.001(1), FDR]

Did you send CFIA an email yet?  they're usually pretty good at responding.   You could also reach out to a food lab like MAXXAM as they may have a labelling department that can help

1 Thank

Hi,

Thanks for your answer,

Yes I already wrote to the CFIA, I'm waiting on an answer so I was trying here since their answers are sometimes too long to get.

I also considered the dextrin as a starch but since we have to put maltodextrin in the sugar-based ingredients group, I was a little bit confused

Thanks again and have a nice day,

it's because the maltose in malodextrin is a sugar alcohol I think

I'm not sure since the sugar alcohol are not supposed to be in the sugar-based group

I'm not sure since the sugar alcohol are not supposed to be in the sugar-based group

I wonder if you got the response from CFIA?

I wonder if you got the response from CFIA?

No they didn't answered..

It takes forever 

Similar Discussion Topics
HACCP in the sugar industry CFIA vs FDA Guides US equivalent forms to CFIA Salmonella testing for Candies and Marshmallow as per CFIA and FDA hazard identification EU regulations on black spec allowance in sugar Requesting help with CFIA SFCR regulation GMP rules for maintenance Can an undetected test piece be considered a physical hazard in a metal detection process? Concerns of adding a plastic hang hook on a tea and sugar filter bag Organic Cane Sugar - Foreign Material HELP