What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Spice Treatments Irradiation vs. ETO/PPO

Started by , Feb 12 2021 01:15 PM
3 Replies

How is everyone treating their spices these days?  Is irradiation still being commonly used or is everyone moving more towards the ETO/PPO?  I have inherited a strange micro program here at my company that I would love to update and it is more cost effective to buy ETO/PPO treated spices then irradiated.  However, I have the veterans of the company saying that we can only buy irradiated spices due to micro requirements and contamination issues they have seen in the past.  I feel like the industry has moved away from irradiation since everyone wants organic and clean label so why should we continue to hold onto it.  And more of our customers have been requesting organic items which I know cannot be irradiated.  But we have not accepted any of that business because we don't want to change how we are treating the spices.  

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
VACCP vulnerability assessment for spice mixes and snack pellets Relative moisture parameters in a warehouse for dried spice Spice Authenticity Testing Exemption from USDA and FDA Compliance for Labeling of Free Spice Powder Product Heating cheese to get a spice rub to stick
[Ad]

From what I understand ETO/PPO treatment methods are NOT organic approved.  Steam heating is an organic approved option.

I've never understand consumer, and other persons, fear of irradiation of foodstuffs.  It is tried and true, but has an optic that isn't great because when it was implemented in a variety of foods the method wasn't really communicated very well to the public.  Too bad...

HPP is probably another way to go, but not sure if that has been validated for spices.

1 Like

https://www.foodsafe...ures-of-spices/

Interesting article about this subject

ryan is correct.   no ppo or epe for organic.   steam is what is mostly available for organic as I recall.   I think someone has a proprietary CO process.   

my wife use to purchase orgnanic spices.   i told her to stop it.   i dont think she listened.   you are correct there is some business opportunity if you can do it safely.    

(i use to work for a spice company - they are not "clean")

Similar Discussion Topics
VACCP vulnerability assessment for spice mixes and snack pellets Relative moisture parameters in a warehouse for dried spice Spice Authenticity Testing Exemption from USDA and FDA Compliance for Labeling of Free Spice Powder Product Heating cheese to get a spice rub to stick Spice Industry Environmental Monitoring Program- Ready to Eat-FSMA Allowed maximum Micro TPC limits in spice and herb environment? Organic spice sterilization Spice blend label declarations How to find out ingredients in a spice