What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Can UV Air Disinfection decrease Air Filter standards?

Started by , Feb 16 2021 01:15 PM
3 Replies

Dear all, I have a question from technical department regarding the air filtration system.  We are in process of new production space creating and the air filtration level has been defined as zone h E12 with 5 exchanges from EHEDG recommendations. 

The question is whether any UV air disinfection  (underceiling or  ari duct mounted) can decrease the filter's standards? As the filter will cause huge costs I will appreciate any advice and experience.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Pallet treatment standards for a food facility EU and USFDA standards for residual disinfectant levels HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards
[Ad]

UV filtration will not have any impact on the filtration system

UV will simply render organisms as inactive (best case scenario) but those particles are still in the air and will still need to be physically removed via filtration

2 Likes

Dear All,

I have a question from technical department regarding the air filtration system. 

We are in process of new production space creating and the air filtration level has been defined as zone h E12 with 5 exchanges from EHEDG recommendations. 

The question is whether  any UV air disinfection  (underceiling or  ari duct mounted) can decrease the filter's standards?

As the filter will cause huge costs I will appreciate any advice and experience.

Hi Wer,

^^^(red) - Not too sure what the query actually means (eg filtration versus UV ?).

If the specific objective is to reduce the active microbial load, eg decontamination, then, apparently, maybe yes.

S0440_EMG_-_Application_of_UV_disinfection__visible_light__local_air_filtration_and_fumigation.pdf   345.83KB   8 downloads

To some degree.  HEPA filtration is capable of microbial filtration and removal.  You could theoretically reduce the filter efficiency as a trade off that UV disinfection will eliminate leftover microbial load, or reduce to same level as if you had 99.9% HEPA filtration.

From a cost standpoint UV is certainly not low cost and I'm unsure of the cost savings you could have with filter efficiency reduction and UV.  That's something for the engineers to cost out.  I'd have them put together two options for you which will achieve same final microbial reduction and see what is most appetizing in terms of cost.

Similar Discussion Topics
Pallet treatment standards for a food facility EU and USFDA standards for residual disinfectant levels HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards RTD Coffee Processing Standards Shelf Life Standards Lastest AIB standards BRC Site Standards Reference Standards for Glass Bottle Manufacturing