What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Less than 2ppm Peanut Labeling

Started by , Mar 01 2021 04:31 PM
4 Replies

Hello, I recently received results for a product that is roasted on a peanut roaster. My product results came back at <2ppm Peanut (R-Biopharm Ridascreen) an has the following legend: "IF THE ALLERGEN RESULT ON THIS CERTIFICATE OF ANALYSIS IS NOT PRECEDED BY A “<” (LESS THAN) SYMBOL, THE RESULT WAS PRESUMPTIVE FOR THE INDICATED ALLERGEN". To my understanding this product has no peanut proteins (or at least not detectable by that method). Should I steel label my product as a warning that it might contain peanut or has been in contact with peanut processing equipment? Thank you, 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Automatic Labeling System Customer labeling of frozen pizza Scale Labeling Machine USFDA Food Labeling Date format USDA Labeling Evaluation
[Ad]

I think given that you're using a peanut roaster for your product, it's the prudent thing to do

You sent the lab a sample, going to assume it was a grab sample and not an AOQ type sample , it only means that the sample you sent is negative for peanut, it does not mean the product is

Err on the side of caution---------the alternative is a battle with the FDA and/or a lawsuit

Next batch, secure a different roaster if possible

1 Like1 Thank
Itvwould be an allerhen statement or declaration that ingredient/product is processed on equipment that also processes peanuts. Or both.
1 Like1 Thank

Hello,

I recently received results for a product that is roasted on a peanut roaster.

My product results came back at <2ppm Peanut (R-Biopharm Ridascreen) an has the following legend: "IF THE ALLERGEN RESULT ON THIS CERTIFICATE OF ANALYSIS IS NOT PRECEDED BY A “<” (LESS THAN) SYMBOL, THERESULT WAS PRESUMPTIVE FOR THE INDICATED ALLERGEN".

To my understanding this product has no peanut proteins (or at least not detectable by that method).

Should I steel label my product as a warning that it might contain peanut or has been in contact with peanut processing equipment?

Thank you, 

If you do" precautionary" label, you might as well have not sent a sample ?

There are "guidelines" for to label or to not label but it often devolves as per previous posts despite logical/ethical etc opinions. Such is the belief in preemptive strikes/insurance.

1 Like1 Thank

I apply several principles:

1) no analysis w/o consequences

2) test selection - here: Check whether the test system applies an antibody or antibodies which are able to detect heat modified allergens
    I always ask for validation studies and background of antibodies generation (ELISA). Why? For peanut I know from own experience that a negative test result will not mean no allergenicity -> crosscheck with IgG from allergenic patient used in a test system can give a positive reaction.
3) CoA: any result statement for both the allergenic food (peanut) and the protein

4) crosscheck with vital concept (Australia)

Any decision for or against PAL for countries w/o legal requirements is always related to the market environment and court decisions. I personally prefer no PAL wherever possible and reasonable. 

Rgds

moskito

1 Like1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Automatic Labeling System Customer labeling of frozen pizza Scale Labeling Machine USFDA Food Labeling Date format USDA Labeling Evaluation Allergen Labeling Seafood Unrefined oil allergen labeling Retail Labeling Labeling Ready Meals as Bake SQF and FDA guidelines for labeling