What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Why do we only protect against Nut Allergen?

Started by , Mar 04 2021 02:35 PM
4 Replies

Hi all. I'm currently reviewing some policies when a random question popped into my head, and I fear to say it out loud! We have an allergy policy which states no nuts or nuts products can be brought on site. Now I understand that this is a big allergen and we have a few members of staff with nut allergies. However, WHY just nuts? why not any other allergens? If I have a question about something, I always ask myself it as if an auditor had just walked in and asked me the question, what would I say to them? I've had continuous brain fart for 3 weeks now so i'm sure there is a simple answer, i'm just not sure how i'd logically explain to an auditor that we care about nuts but no other allergen. And I am one of those nut allergy sufferers. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin? Allergen Management
[Ad]

if your company is allergen free you could begin a policy for that as well.

Hi all. 

I'm currently reviewing some policies when a random question popped into my head, and i fear to say it out loud! 

We have an allergy policy which states no nuts or nuts products can be brought on site. Now i understand that this is a big allergen and we have a few members of staff with nut allergies. 

However, WHY just nuts? why not any other allergens?

If i have a question about something, I always ask myself it as if an auditor had just walked in and asked me the question, what would i say to them? 

I've had continuous brain fart for 3 weeks now so i'm sure there is a simple answer, i'm just not sure how i'd logically explain to an auditor that we care about nuts but no other allergen. 

And i am one of those nut allergy sufferers. 

An article to look at and justify your policy. Also look at the potential for cross contact and the allergen item creating airborne 'dust'

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3440177/

"Peanut and tree nuts are overwhelmingly and disproportionately represented in case series of severe and fatal outcomes, severe allergic reaction, and visits to the emergency department for food anaphylaxis, particularly in United States, Germany, Australia, and the United Kingdom"

If I am understanding your question, you want to know why you don't have similar conditions for Wheat, or Soy, or Milk, etc.?

I'd hazard a guess that the reactions to the other allergens are not as severe (IN MOST CASES) as they are for nuts. I am not aware of anaphylactic shock occurring with wheat particles in the air...and that does seem to occur in nut allergies.

Of course I may be off track completely.  

GMP cleaning needs to be sufficient to remove the chance of cross contamination by FSMA in the US. If you make a nut free claim on your products that is one reason to ban them, but if you do not make a claim you are probably looking at a HR/occupational safety accommodation to protect personnel that are at great risk of exposure.

Just my first guess.

Dave

Similar Discussion Topics
Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin? Allergen Management Allergen Management Plan Lychee Nut Management as an Allergen Allergen Risk Assessment Carryover Non Allergen Allergen Label Checks