What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

SQF 11.7.1.2 - Air Testing for high risk process areas

Started by , Mar 22 2021 03:29 PM
7 Replies

Hello Friends, I am a bit confused on this, could you please provide clarity?

11.7.1.2 Ambient air in high-risk areas shall be tested at least annually to confirm that it does not pose a risk to food safety.

We are a bread manufacturing bakery so, "High Risk" areas to me would be post bake areas where the product is pending to be wrapped/packaged. Is this correct?  Also, what should we test for?  Particles & Oil, Yeast & Mold. Thank you in advance

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
New Amazon Dietary Supplement Testing Policy Packing process for a new beverage Mayonnaise Glass Bottling Plant Process Example of a risk assessment template Should you list your preventative controls on your HACCP process flow chart?
[Ad]

I wouldn't consider any portion of your process High Risk

Once baked, the water activity on the surface of bread is so low that it isn't a desirable environment

WHile your product is RTE- ambient air is not likely to adulterate your product. At best perform yeast/mold settling plate test once and never do it again

For you, this is a make work project. You'd know already if there was an issue as you'd be seeing reductions to shelf life

Thanks, I really appreciate you!

If you aren't considered a high risk process, would this even apply? Should it still be included in the documentation?

Hi Bread-Head,

Hello Friends, I am a bit confused on this, could you please provide clarity?

11.7.1.2 Ambient air in high-risk areas shall be tested at least annually to confirm that it does not pose a risk to food safety.

We are a bread manufacturing bakery so, "High Risk" areas to me would be post bake areas where the product is pending to be wrapped/packaged. Is this correct?  Also, what should we test for?  Particles & Oil, Yeast & Mold. Thank you in advance

SQF9 definition -

High Risk Food Process(es): A process that requires specific controls and/or a higher level of hygienic practice to prevent food contamination from pathogens.

Does the Bakery have a baking CCP ?

If Yes, does it require specific control(s) ?

No, we don't have an CCPs. I should still have the "Separation of Functions" document included with my overall document correct? 

If SQF choose to "normalize" their Standard to FSMA, I anticipate Baking step should be a CCP, eg -

https://www.ifsqn.co...e-2#entry152403

And maybe this is another indicator -

bakery.png   157.39KB   1 downloads

I just noticed one SQF audit where a (declared) baking CCP was not criticised per se but faulted due lack of associated details however my guess is that a poll of SQF Certified Bakers (eg Post 6 ) will only verify that there is no auditorial consensus over use/not use CCP.

PS - IIRC, BRC simply chose to avoid any lack of consensus, eg (F048,1st issue) <<<< High risk or high care production zones are not applicable for
products in this [14 bakery] category >>>>. :clap:

I am also in the same situation as our process is not considered "high risk" and we also don't have any CCPs. Then if this is the case, where would I include the "separation of functions" documentation?

Similar Discussion Topics
New Amazon Dietary Supplement Testing Policy Packing process for a new beverage Mayonnaise Glass Bottling Plant Process Example of a risk assessment template Should you list your preventative controls on your HACCP process flow chart? Health & Safety Risk Assessment Zosi’s Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP) and risk assessment templates Heavy Metals Testing Unit Conversion Establishing Limits for Compressed Air Testing Is pulling the cords out from the ear buds a risk to contamination?